PDA

View Full Version : Win98se and DOS SHARE.EXE

sam ricci jr
02-08-2002, 07:23 AM
First time post. The Peachtree knowledge base server is down, so I'll ask the experts here first.

Yesterday I upgraded our company's peer server to Win98se with FAT32. DOS share is not in windows\command or anywhere on the machine, so my autoexec shows

SHARE /F:10240 /L:250
'bad command or file name'

PCA11 dos appears to run just fine using Lantastic 8.0's server (and the shutdown screen does not lock up anymore...).

my network setup is

client for lantastic
dialup adapter (unused)
linksys 10/100 pci card
artisoft netbios (dialup and linksys)
tcp/ip (unused dialup and linksys)
file and printer sharing for lantastic networks

Is DOS share needed with W98se?. If yes, where do i find share? Win95 original fat16 required it. PCA11 needed it to share and lock properly.

guess I have to get ready for Classic V12

thanks

jag
02-08-2002, 08:13 PM
I believe that the Share command is no longer needed when running under Win9x, because Windows itself takes care of it.

But, some people here claim that you need to leave that line in the autoexec.bat to trick Peachtree in order to work properly. In my experience when I used Win98, I never needed to load it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Share command wasn't needed in Win95 also, but since Win95 has that command it doesn't give you the error that you are receiving.

Click Here (http://www.peachtreeusers.com/.forums/showthread.php3?threadid=975) for a post on a similar issue.

For more info go to the Peachtree KB and look up for articles #96 #126 (as far as I know the PT KB server is working properly)

My Rule of the Thumb is:
If isn't broken... don't fix it (if Peachtree DOS is running fine don't mess with it)

HIH

sam ricci jr
02-09-2002, 03:36 PM
Yes, found it on the peachtree site.

Peachtree says that Win95 and Win98 don't need share, but I ran it with win95 first ed and fat16, with only the your computer is shutting down screen lockup.

nobody has complained about it yet, all 8 of us users.

thanks for help again,

Sam Ricci, Jr

jtonge
04-11-2002, 06:01 AM
There is no version of share.exe that runs in win98 or win98se. Windows handles all the file sharing. Also if you keep it in your autoexec.bat file it will slightly degrade system performance because share.exe in not a win32 app but is a win16 app.