PDA

View Full Version : Error Message 75

tboinc
02-09-2002, 01:52 AM
Does anyone know what this error message could indicate? I back up my files to my home computer by copying my PCA subdirectory to CD-Rom and then copying them to my hard drive at home. This has always worked in the past but I did temporarily loan my backup computer to a fellow in need. I erased all of my PCA files before he borrowed it. Now when I attempt this I get a red screen with "Error Message 75 - an unusual error has occurred..." Now I can't even get into PCA on this computer to "restore from an A drive" backup.

johnp900
02-11-2002, 09:46 PM
system error 75 ... Reload the Pt program from the discs or cd. restore your data & you should be fine. you may want to recover data files also.

tboinc
02-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Thanks. That eventually worked, though it took numerous tries. AP seemed to be the biggest problem. One of the ten backup disks always came up unreadable, usually the eight or ninth! Finally resequenced AP and then backed up. Then got AP not activated (whereas I didn't get that when restoring the other modules) so I acitivated it and it finally worked.

Wonder what it was that I could load and restore to a certain point, copy the PCA subdirectory on C drive to D drive, fool with what was on C drive and when I messed it up, erase it and copy it back from D drive and it would still work ... YET I couldn't copy the PCA subdirectory from the C drive on my other computer and put it on this computer and get it to work??!! Doesn't make sense. Perhaps, when you do an install from the PCA disks, there is a file that is loaded somewhere outside the PCA subdirectory?

jag
02-23-2002, 02:25 PM
Maybe the data path was different on both installations.

Did you use the Utilba utility to change/check the data path?

What version are you using?

HIH

tboinc
02-24-2002, 04:19 AM
Dos ver. 11

I thought the same thing but checked the data path with the utility bat file as well as manually set them up myself more times than I care to remember. If the problems/errors trying to restore AP were even consistant I wouldn't be quite so baffled. Every time I tried to restore AP from floppies and it didn't work (locked it up with either the error 75, or the module being in use by another program) I erased the subdirectory on C drive, pulled my clean copy of the subdirectory from D drive and started over. Fortunately I had backed up this way after I got a good install from the installation disks so at least I didn't have to keep reinstalling. Recovering the files prior to backing up on floppies is the only thing that produced backup floppies that were all readable and to the point of "AP module not installed" and then allowed me to install that module and finally restore AP. It was more than weird.

Still don't understand all of what happened. Particularly why it is feasible to back up by copying the whole PCA subdirectory either to a CD or on another hard drive and be able to restore it by copying it from either, as long as PCA has first been installed ... and why that doesn't work if you haven't first installed PCA. The only thing that I can think of is that the install disks load or toggle something outside of the PCA subdirectory ... but what? I haven't a clue. As far as I know it doesn't write anything to the registry or other system files other than config.sys or the autoexec.bat file and I had copied all the PCA info from them and rebooted to no avail.

jag
02-24-2002, 08:56 AM
Just a Tought!

As you may have noticed, maybe your problem relies on a corrupted database and or program. Since you can't restore you database, but you can copy your data back and forth. I haven't used the peachtree backup program for many years so I don't know how it works now, but it seems to me that when you have some sort of data corruption it has problems restoring. That's not the case when you copy the data, because it doesn't check anything.

Anyway, that's my theory...Have you run a Recover Data Files procedure in order to check your data in each module?

tboinc
02-24-2002, 12:46 PM
I agree that the data files being corrupt in AP was probably a factor in the difficulty I had in restoring from backup floppies and/or the floppies even being readable by the AP restore program. I didn't have any problems restoring GL or AR after I installed PCA from the installation disks so I never bothered to resequence them. However after considering your comments perhaps the whole reason I couldn't copy the PCA directory on the C drive of one computer to the C drive on a spare computer y(yet was able to copy from the D drive on the spare to the C drive on the spare after I did an install) was not because I actually needed to do an install ... but rather because the files on the original computer were corrupt?! At least it sonds logical where nothing else does.

Interesting though that the files all worked fine on the original computer. One would think then that if you copied the original it would work exactly the same on the spare but I know corrupt files sometimes don't even copy so it sounds like the reason for all the problems ... and a good lesson learned! From now on I will always recover all files before I do a backup ... instead of just periodically!

Thanks for everyone's input. It helped make sense of the whole matter and prevent similiar problems in the future!

jag
02-24-2002, 01:41 PM
Always remember that:

Peachtree and Windows works in misterious ways !!!

:-)