PDA

View Full Version : printing help please

sincerity
04-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Just got a new computer and installed s/w to xp from 98 on old computer. Everything works fine but the printing. I use a continous tractor feed printer to pring acct payable checks/payroll etc. The "custom" form i had in 98 did not import so I created another through xp and it is just a basic 8.5 x 6.5 check form. My question is this, when I print checks part of the right margin is cut off, and the checks keep on moving up when printing so after 2-3 checks printed they are off of the form and printing off location so to speak. I tried to go into setup for the form, made sure it was defaulted to my custom form, but the margins are as follows. .25 left, .25 top, .25 bottom and .32 right. it WILL NOT let me change the right margin. I have tried and tried, i changed the default windows margin but in peachtree, everytime I change it under "setup" under the custom check form for A/P or payroll, I change right margin to .25 click ok, and i can see it automatically change back. I have a sneaky feeling if I get it to accept the .25 right margin, the vertical aligning might work. thanks for reading.

sincerity
04-21-2006, 08:26 AM
im using 2005 btw

rick Prindivill
04-21-2006, 08:39 AM
You did not state the Brand name and model of dot matrix printer that you are using. The problem that you have described states clearly that you are using an incompatible print driver from Peachtree's viewpoint. Go back to Windows - Printer & Faxes, and right click on your printer, select Properties and add a second or additional compatible print driver to resolve this issue.

If you are using an Okidata dot matrix 320 printer (IBM emulation) then you might choose the IBM PROPRINTER or IBM Graphic drivers. You could change the printers internal emulation (see printer manual) to Epson mode and then use one of many Epson print drivers to correct the right edge printing problem.

sincerity
04-21-2006, 08:42 AM
sorry, epson fx-880. any ideas on which driver would be sufficient? thanks for the quick response!!

*edit* once again. I took your advice and checked the old windows 98 computer and was running an IBM 2380 Plus driver. So I added that driver to the xp machine, and while it will let me change the .25 margin, it still won't line up vertically. any more ideas? thanks

sincerity
04-21-2006, 10:48 AM
its like the vertical spacing is off...the first check will print fine, the second a little off but unacceptable, the third very off. running onto the previous check.

rick Prindivill
04-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Change your Custom Paper Size to compensate for the paging problem. Make the report length longer i.e. 6.60" instead of 6.50". You are printing 6 lines per inch or 0.16666" per line. Adjust your form longer or shorter to find the best form lenght.

sincerity
04-21-2006, 02:56 PM
ok ill try that tomorrow...does it make sense though that that sized form worked on the 98 computer fine, but when i went to xp it doesn't anymore? strange indeed. thanks for your help.

rick Prindivill
04-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Windows XP uses new technology, and dot matrix for the most part are yesterday's technology. We experience a lot of compatibility issues with Windows XP and older dot matrix printers.

sincerity
04-21-2006, 09:04 PM
ok, i hope the printer will work...i just need to find the right size form. i'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. thanks a lot for your help!