PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Company files, after I reformatted my system

twgeo
04-08-2002, 02:18 PM
I had to reformat my harddrive. Before reformating I copied all company files onto a disk, and now I've installed Peachtree version 10.0 DOS. Heres the problem, now I need to transfer my company files from disk to the new install. Is it possible, I've tried just copying the company folders to the new directory, but no luck, when I opened PT.exe, the companies aren't in the list. Can anyone help me please, Thank you.

jag
04-08-2002, 05:21 PM
TWGEO,

Just copy all the company folders under C:\PCA. They should look like this C:\PCA\XXYYDATA, ex. FIARDATA= Company-FI, Accounts Receivable-AR.

After you copy all the folders, just try to open a new company (it is important that it has the same two letter abbreviation). It will ask you for the basic info, like Name, Address, Phone, ect.

Then you open each one of the modules that you were using in this new company. When you do this it will tell you that there's already files in that module and prompt you to overwrite them (the default is "no"). You got to do this for each an every module that you were using.

Sit back and enjoy a work well done!!! :)

HIH

twgeo
04-08-2002, 09:41 PM
Thanks a lot, I'm a lot closer to fixing this than before, but now I've got another problem: Whenever I try to open general ledger on a company I'm getting a "System Error#75". And I can't open it. Also when trying to enter data, it tells me that the file is in use. I hope you know this one too, but thanks again for getting me closer.

twgeo
04-08-2002, 10:39 PM
Thank you for the help, I've figured it out, files were set at read-only, and of course needed to be archive. Thanks a bunch!!!

jag
04-09-2002, 05:05 AM
Happy to hear (read) that !!!

Just remember to add the following lines to config.sys (in Win9x computers, in XP/2000 there are in enviromental variables)

SET PC3I=CO
SET OVERLAY_HEAP=1

If you use Win ME, 2000 or XP, let me know so I post some other instructions that you might need (since PCA DOS don't do it in the installation).

HIH

Susie Bennett
04-14-2002, 06:33 PM
I was frantic, I've been a Peachtree user for several years but I was lost here! Thanks for posting your question & thanks for posting the answer!

Susie

twgeo
04-18-2002, 05:39 PM
I'm using ME. Curious, why? Thanks again for the help. Another question..... I'm thinking of switching to W2K as my OS, will I need to convert my DOS Peach, if I do, how?

jag
04-19-2002, 03:38 AM
twgeo,

You may have already done it, because without it you could not open any modules.

1) Open C:\Windows\System.ini with any text editor
2) Reach the 386Enh Section
3) Edit (or add) a line PerVMFiles=225

Save and exit the file.

Shut down and Restart your computer.

In Windows 2000 the trick is running in full screen with some special considerations. I could post them if you need it, or you could read them in the Peachtree Knowledge Center.

Beware, I have found that not all computers can run Peachtree DOS in Win 2000 or XP. If I were you, I will test it first.

Hope it helps,

twgeo
04-22-2002, 09:23 PM
I understand the ME system.ini change now, but the comment that was made about W2k, ??. It will be on a Compaq Presario computer. So what you were saying is that not all machines will be able to run it, why, is it the OS or computer. Not sure how I could test it, I guess what you're saying is that I would have to try the W2k OS and if it wouldnt work, put ME back on it and remain ME. Have you heard about any problems with a Compaq machine running W2k and trying with DOS? Thank you again.

jag
04-23-2002, 09:58 PM
This is how it goes:

I have installed PCA-DOS in several computers using different plataforms like Windows 9x/Me/2000 and XP. The thing is that some computers no matter what you (using XP or 2000) do don't work with Peachtree DOS. One example of that kind of computer is the Compaq Evo Notebook. That notebook does run the program but it runs it too damn slow. I'm not sure how the computer affects the performance of the program, but I know ot does.

The only way I have found to know is by installing the OS. If there's other way... I don't know about it.

By the way: The things that you have to do in order to get peachtree to work correctly under Win 2000/XP are explained on the Peachtree Knowledge center on the Peachtree's website. You got to use the program in full screen mode and use a specific settings fo the buffer and screen size. Check out their website or let me know and I will post the instructions.

Hope it helps,

twgeo
04-24-2002, 07:27 PM
I've downloaded the .pdf off he knowledge center, I'm attempting the setup now, thanks for all the help. RTFM :)