PDA

View Full Version : Auto Supply Co. Inventory

Unregistered
08-03-2001, 02:04 PM
We're currently using PT in our auto supply business for everything but inventory, which is being done MANUALLY! The boss thinks that 20 characters is too short for part #'s for our tire lines, e.g. LT235/85R16 10-ply Terra Trac. Of course, we could shorten that to LT23585R1610TT or something similar, but I'm still facing resistance from him that it would be too confusing or too inflexible or too something.

Any auto supply (or similar) users out there with some practical ideas? He's currently looking at a tire store POS accounting package that wouldn't be a fully integrated tool like PT (i.e., no payroll, etc.).

asphelpdeskinc
08-05-2001, 09:20 AM
I think you personally have a good handle on the situation. Shortening the ID's shouldn't cause confusion if your DESCRIPTION or DESCRIPTION FOR SALES properly displays or describes entire product.

During sales order or invoice entry, the person entering the order should just verify each line item with the DESCRIPTION that displays before continuing on with the transaction - that shouldn't be difficult or cause any confusion. It is just a matter of training the personnel not to be lazy about what they are doing.

The DESCRIPTION field in V7 is 30 characters, and the DESCRIPTION FOR SALES is extremely long!

Jim Ronson
http://www.asphelpdeskinc.com