PDA

View Full Version : Transferring files between PCs

hokieike
05-06-2002, 09:37 AM
I would like to backup and restore Peachtree Classic Accounting data to a work computer and a home computer. I can transfer the backup files using a remote PC connection software, like Symantec's pcAnywhere. However, I get error messages and the restore process fails. How can I transfer the backup files then restore?

I have had some luck in getting this done, but would like some other users' perspectives on how to manage Peachtree when you do work both at the office and at home. I am willing to share how I did it with anyone that requests.

jag
05-06-2002, 06:11 PM
What is the actual procedure that you use? Backup the company data before leaving, start a PcAnywhere session in your home and transfer the backup, then Restore to your home, work with the data and then do that in reverse?

IMHO, the idea of having two computers and syncronizing those files off line is a little risky, the data can be corrupted doing so. Also, I don't know how much data you have but in my case a DSL connection would not be enough to do this every day.

What I would do (and this would work better if you have a High-Speed Internet connection at your office) is to create a Virtual Private Network (VPN) from your home computer to the office computer. Then open a Terminal Services session in the office computer from your home and you are all setted up. The only problem there is the printer, you will have to redirect the printer to your machine and that would be a little tricky, but not impossible. You could also create a RAS connection (modem-modem directly), if you preffer.

The main advantage of this method is that if anything that you do in your home will be automatically adjusted in the office machine (since you are actually using the office machine) and you don't have to worry about the data transfer (and the errors involved in that, since no Peachtree data is actually transferred) and the backup/restore process.

Of course there are disavantages: You need a permanent connection while you are working on the machine (but if the line is dropped for any reason you can get back where you left). It is a lot trickier to set-up and/or manage. Finally, you will need Windows XP (or 2000) to do this easily, while you can do it with other OS it's a lot more difficult.

On the other hand if you have your data in a Windows 2000 Server and your home computer is Windows XP/2000, this will be an easy task (or at least a lot less difficult).

Please share with us what you are doing, so we can learn from your experience.

That were my $0.02 !!!

HIH,

hokieike
05-17-2002, 09:01 AM
Sorry for the delay in reporting.

The actual implementation was delayed. However, the current plan is to use the remote software to transfer backup files. I have this mostly automated. The kicker is that the transferred files need to be copied to a previously used backup disk. This is very specific - I found that you must perform the normal a: backup using BOTH machines, so that error messages are avoided. Even is you receive an error message, the restore seems to work fine. The Peachtree backup seems to put some header info or possibly slightly different floppy formatting than standard Windows/DOS formats.

I have tried this with a test company, now I need to try with the live version. We will also use the actual backup disks as a fallback plan. Not much to it, but the testing did take a little while. Once we actually do this in production, I'll report back.

And if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. Javier, thanks for the VPN idea. The person using the home PC only uses a dial-up connection for now, so I can't get as much benefit. Plus, the remote software has a (supposedly)easy fix for the redirect print. I'll have to wait until the home PC tries to dial in to test, since the printer is there. And, the real wish is that PCA would allow easier file transfers for multiple users with multiple PCs.

Thanks!

Chris Icenhour, CPA
Controller
McFeely's Square Drive Screws

http://www.mcfeelys.com

jag
05-20-2002, 02:15 PM
Chris,

I understand your issue. However, I don't understand your problem entirely. If you are using PcAnywhere you shouldn't have to use any floppy disk.

Just so you know-

Assuming that you would work from your home off-hours (if you will be working in working hours, then I don't understand what you are trying to do). This is what I would do (if you already decided that you don't want to work with an open PcAnywhere or Terminal Services session):

Skip the Peachtree backup program (it's not needed)

1) Create a Scheduled task to perform a backup of the Peachtree files directories (do not include the program data itself) at a convinient hour (let's say 6:00pm) to a folder in your PC. This file has all the info that you need to restore.

2) Create a PcAnywhere session to the office computer. Retreive the backup file that you created (well, it's automatically created) previously.

3) Use the backup program in the home machine to restore the backup file into the home machine.

4) Work with the Peachtree data

5) Create a backup file and transfer it back to your office (same procedure as above).

6) Restore the backup file to your office computer.

In this procedure you don't have to use a floppy disk at all. The only limitation is that the Home and Office computer must be running the same operating system, because files backed up in Windows XP can't be restored in Windows 95 (you can do this with other versions).

While this procedure is valid (and works better than using a Floppy), I strongly discourage you to use it. If you are going to use PcAnywhere, just use it to run the program. The only problem here would be if you have to pay phone charges for those calls. In that case use the remote desktop connections to the office's computer via PPTP on the internet.

Hey, internet access is $9.95/month and even lower (even here), so you will save all this backup->restore->work->backup->restore hassle for a mere $20 bucks a month (sounds like a real bargain to me).

I just hope all this makes sense and don't forget to report back :) !!!

Have a nice day,

jag
05-20-2002, 02:25 PM
Hey, I almost forgot to mention it:

Are you a manufacturer, distrubutor or a reseller of screws/bolts and related stuff?

My company name in english would be something like: "The House of Bolts" (La Casa de los Tornillos). We sell and distrubute bolts, nuts and related stuff in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.

Pretty interesting bussiness? huh?... :)