PDA

View Full Version : ver 11 dos-still slow

Aileen
05-06-2002, 06:25 PM
We added another computer. All 3 have Windows 98, running Peach V11. 2 of the computers run fine, but the 3rd one that we just added is VERY SLOW. I followed previous suggestions posted: Turned off Norton Auto Protect, put to full screen, but nothing helped. Is there anything else that can be done to solve this and get the 3rd computer running fast like the other 2? Thanks.

jag
05-06-2002, 06:35 PM
Try switching newoks cards and the cat5 cables. Many times the problem relies simply in bad hardware.

The full screen mode fix is only for 2000/XP, in Windows 98 really does nothing. You said that you turned off Norton Auto-Protect, just try removing the entire program and any other disk utilites programs that you might be running.

That's all the advise I can give you,

Aileen
05-06-2002, 07:32 PM
Thank you for your Speedy reply. I will look into that tomorrow. If I remove Norton's all together, what anti-virus program runs well with Peach V11, that wont give it problems?

jag
05-07-2002, 05:07 AM
First things first: Let's see if that solves the issue. Then I (or someone else here) will try to tweak Norton into working with Peachtree. I'm very sure that if that's the problem we can work it out.

But, just so you know I use Trend Micro's Office Scan without problems (but that is a server/client product). Most probably you could get a free demo copy of TM's PC-Cillin 2002 from the internet and test it (it has the same client engine that TM's Office Scan).

Just let us know how it goes.

Aileen
05-07-2002, 06:13 PM
I switched cards and cables. No luck. Still very slow. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

jag
05-07-2002, 06:50 PM
What computer/brand is this machine?

I don't think there is much left to do. When you say "it runs slow" it is what category: "workable slow" or "unbearable slow"???

I had very bad luck with some Compaq computers, I installed Windows 2000 and PCA won't work, the installed Win XP and didn't work either. Installed Windows ME with no luck, then I installed Windows 98SE and it worked. I have installed Peachtree many times (I think a couple of dozen of times) and never had seen anything similar.

Maybe you will have to re-install Windows 98. If you do it make sure that you will do a clean install.

That's all I can say to you... and good luck !!!

HIH,

Aileen
05-07-2002, 07:46 PM
The computer that is running "unbearable slow" is a Compaq Persario, and has Windows 98 installed, but I have kept it updated with all the updates. The other 2 computers are another brand,(can't think of name right now) and are running on 98SE. I took this 3rd computer from home here because I had been reading all the post about running Dos Ver's on XP and the problems that some were having. So instead of have 2 computers with Windows 98 and the 3rd new one with XP, I thought it would be best to do it this way, that there would be alot more problems if I went with just one computer with XP, then what I am having now. What do you mean by a "clean install"? The computer came pre-loaded with 98. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it.

jag
05-07-2002, 08:38 PM
Compaq? That's another reason why I buy Gateway and Dell, and only buy Compaq for Servers. My previous experiences with Compaq Presario and Evo Notebooks + Peachtree are disastrous.

What I mean by "clean install" is to simply format the hard drive and start over. Also, I would give Win XP a try (and other OS' as well).

Let me say another thing to you: Setting Peachtree DOS in Windows 2000/XP is not difficult and it runs ok. The problem is that some computers (a few) have issues with it (maybe you are one of that group... but I hope not).

Cheers,