PDA

View Full Version : Designing Financial Statements

lkelly
07-06-2001, 05:31 PM
I wish to set up a new chart of accounts to allow me to design an income statement like this:

Net sales
Cost of Sales
Gross Profit

Operating Expenses:
Selling & Marketing
General and Administrative
Total Operating expenses

Operating Income(loss)

Other Income (expense)

Income(loss) from operations

I do not see how to use the design function in the income statement to summarize the selling & marketing expenses in to one line and summarize the rest of the G & A expenses in to a separate line.

Any expenses (supplies, trade shows, advertising, even salaries) attributable to the sales or marketing department should be combined in to that one line. So, if I had supplies (8500072 or 8500080), trade shows (8200072), advertising (8500072), and salaries (6000072 or 6000080), where 72 is the sales department and 80 is the marketing department, all should be included in the Selling and Marketing summary line on the income statement.

Can I accomplish this with the design function? I know you use columns to designate the department, and rows to designate account roll up, but the rollup mask only accepts one account number.

Is there a way to design the income statement I want above by setting up the chart of accounts a different way?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Robert Walraven
07-08-2001, 06:00 AM
I don't believe you can create the kind of reports you need, where you selectively roll-up certain groups of accounts, in Peachtree directly. However you can export the Financial Statement report into Excel and manipulate the data there. Or you can use a third-party product like PawCom, which can read the PCAW data directly, and design your report in MS Access.

asphelpdeskinc
07-09-2001, 02:23 PM
I believe it can be done, especially if you are designing a new chart of accounts now. Once a chart is in place, things can get difficult.

I have designed some very complex financial statements for an insurance company directly in Peachtree. It is easiest if all of the account numbers are consecutive, but not impossible if they are not - just tedious.

Take advantage of the "no print" option and totals to accomplish the formatting.

Jim Ronson
www.asphelpdeskinc.com

joni
12-28-2001, 05:11 PM
I'm having a similar problem with the design function and I think I've got my chart of accounts set up fairly well for this. I've tried to edit a line under expenses in the income statement to go from 4*0200 to 445200 hoping to pick up the accounts 410200 and 420200, but it doesn't do it. It seems that as soon as I add a wild card(*) the whole system fails. Am I misunderstanding what can be done with the masking function? I'm needing to subtotal the wages and benefits for various departments before totalling all wages and benefits. The 4th number is the dept. number. The hope was to have the next line go from 4*0300 to 445300 etc. for all of the depts.
Thanks for your help.