PDA

View Full Version : Manual Tax Tables

RobinMc
03-25-2008, 07:25 AM
We subscribe to the PT tax service, so our tax tables are of course updated automatically. A friend of mine however wants to do a payroll through PT Complete and he only has one employee. I think that the PT tax service is too costly for his particular case. Can anyone give me or direct me to the instructions on how to do the tax tables manually for Georgia and Federal?
thanks!!

jriehl
03-25-2008, 11:03 AM
See the link below...this gives a bit of info about it. You can find more threads on this forum if you do a search.

http://www.peachtreeusers.com/.forums/showthread.php?t=15367&highlight=georgia

LauraG
03-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Use the information that you have in your Peachtree Maintained tables for Federal, FICA, Medicare and GA. Copy the formulas to word and then copy them to the User maintained tables. Use the same naming convention that PT uses for both the tax ID and tax name. Replicate your default employee setup for your friend. If you have the same version of Peachtree, create the user maintained table for him on your computer and give him the file back with the payroll setup for him.

Here is another thread that might help you:
http://www.peachtreeusers.com/.forums/showthread.php?t=15838

insource
03-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi

I used the above mentioned links to set up a payroll. I have to run just 1 person payroll and so i am tring to set up tables myself. does anyone here have a combined file of all the entried i need to make to set up payroll. I am still missing ILSSA ER 08 ANDILSIT 08. also when i copied FIT08 as mentioned in the links above, the payroll still shows tables missing. i did the formula as well as the table - however I am using 'Married filing jointly' - any help

Thanks

rick Prindivill
03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Peachtree uses the same FIT 08 formula for both Single and Married. You simply need to setup two Tax Codes for FIT M8 and FIT S8. The tax tables are listed in the Federal IRS Circular E using the Annual Tables for Single and Married respectively.

sdiazea
03-30-2008, 07:26 PM
I am in Florida where we have no state or local tax withheld from employees. However, we do have state unemployment that employers pay. I need to do a whole year of payroll records for 2007 & I have tried unsuccessfully to set up tax codes for both NY state & NY city. Nothing I do is working. Please help. BTW, I have been doing the tax files manually for close to 15 years so I'm not a novice at it but I just can't figure this out. I enter a tax code but it will not show up in the employees file.

Help!!
Thanks,
Sharon

kh_design
03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
The 'Tax Name' has to MATCH EXACT in both the User-Maintained Payroll Tax Table and Maintain Default Information Employees EmployEE & EmployER fields.

The User-Maintained Payroll Tax Table 'Tax Name' does have the last two digits of the calendar year (separated by a single space) that is NOT in the Maintain Default Information Employees EmployEE & EmployER fields. Also to clarify it is the User-Maintained Payroll Tax Table 'Tax Name' NOT the 'Tax ID' that has to match.

You will want to make a back-up copy of your TAXTABLE.DAT file in your company's data folder before you make any changes to the User-Maintained Payroll Tax Tables, so that if you need to you can always revert back.

Make sure the correct State and Local code MATCHES in the Maintain Employee Withholding Info and the User-Maintained Payroll Tax Table.

Post screen captures of your User-Maintained Payroll Tax Table and EmployEE & EmployER Fields so that exact 'Tax Name' can be verified. Also post a screen capture of your Maintain Employee Withholding Info (omitting sensitive personal info, like name) so that exact State and Local code can be verified.

insource
03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks kh_design

I will check the details in our Peachtree this evening. Also I am still missing ILSSA ER 08 AND ILSIT 08 - formulas and tables. If you have any idea on how to get those, it will be real big help.

I also want to check if what I am planning to do right now, is logical
a. After I have the time tickets created, Pay empolyee using peachtree manual payroll table,
b. generate a paystub in peachtree
c.then void the peachtree check
d. cut a manual real check

another questions is if I go the route ot Manual payroll tables, are they updated frequently (for Illinois) or its just one time in a year?

Thanks again for all your time

kh_design
03-31-2008, 01:10 PM
You will contact Illinois State Dept of Revenue to find out where you can find the published Illinois State tax withholding rates and tables. Most States have their tax rates and tables published on their State Government web site. Many times States update withholding rates and tables only every few years, As the laws change, but they also update more than once a year, if the laws change mid year. You have to keep informed to State's laws and legislation (as all business owners must, so they know how laws and proposed laws will affect their business. Sorry for the editorial).

Link to Illinois Dept of Revenue
http://www.revenue.state.il.us/

Link to all Federal and State Payroll, Tax and Labor
http://www.payroll-taxes.com/websites.html

You can see examples of how State tax formulas and tables are setup following this thread.
http://forums.peachtreeusers.com/showthread.php?t=15838&page=2

Do NOT void the Peachtree check, it will make a mess of things. Manually enter in Peachtree payroll the first check number of the manual cut real check. Peachtree will automatically go to the next numerical sequence for the following payroll entries. Print the Payroll on plain paper, you can cut off the check portion and keep the stub then manually write the check matching up check with check number shown on stub.

insource
03-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks kh

from the IL dept of revenue website, if i found out that IL state income tax withholding is
0.03*(monthly wages - (((1 * 2000) + (2* 1000))/12)). how do I make this into a peachtree manual payroll table formula.
Also they have given a table which says that if wages are > 2000 then

55 + (wages in excess of 2000 * 0.03) + (2.5 * number of dependents on line 2 of w4)

I did a sample calculation and both of them are the same figure. so should I do a formula using the second method? but doing so I will have to da a table

kh, I am finding this whole peachtree process very interesting and am digging in as much. if you feel I am not asking the right questions, please feel free to let me know

Thx

LauraG
03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Here are the 2007 formulas for ILSIT and IL "Employer's Expense Ta":

TAXID=ILSIT7
TAXNAME=ILSIT 07

FORMULA:
"For proper withholding, enter the number of allowances claimed for self and spouse under Maintain, Employees in the state Allowances box. Enter the number of allowances employee claimed for legally blind or over 65 exemptions in the Special 2 Allowances box."
ANSWER = -PRORATE ((ANNUAL (ADJUSTED_GROSS) -
(EMP_STATE_ALLOWANCES * 2000)-(EMP_SPECIAL2_ALLOWANCES * 1000) *
3%))-EMP_STATE_NUMBER

TAXID=ILSSAa7
TAXNAME= ILSSA ER 07

FORMULA:
"Employer's Expense Tax"
"Only applies to employers with 50 or more full-time employees"
R = 4.0; "Monthly Rate"
ANSWER = -PRORATE (R * 12)

insource
04-01-2008, 10:23 AM
LauraG

Thanks a bunch for your time.

I have a other question on IL SIT 08. From the IL700 T booklet on the Illinois dept of revenue website, (http://www.revenue.state.il.us/taxforms/Withholding/IL700T.pdf). IL SIT 08 will be 0.03*(Monthly Wages- (((A * 2000) + (B* 1000))/12))

A = IL-W4 line 1 allowance, is this equal to - EMP_STATE_ALLOWANCES ? should this be 2 for self and spouse OR 4 for self, spouse and 2 kids?
B = IL-W4 line 2 allowance, is this equal to - EMP_SPECIAL2_ALLOWANCES ? as per IL-W4 line2 it would be = 2 for 2 kids but per the description in your formula and per 'Step 2' of IL-W4 =0 (no blinds and over 65)

what is 'EMP_STATE_NUMBER'?
Also since the tax rate for IL SIT has not changed and Also Since we are just 3 employee right now, ILSSA will not apply, I can just copy these same formula for 2008

kh_design
04-02-2008, 07:16 AM
-EMP_STATE_NUMBER is in the formula to subtract the additional withholding amount entered in the Maintain Employees> Withholding Info> Additional Withholding on State line.

It is the similar use in the FIT formulas for -EMP_FEDERAL_EXTRA is the Additional Withholding on the Federal line, and LIT formulas -EMP_LOCAL_NUMBER is the Additional Withholding on the Local line.

For more information in Peachtree Help search EMP_STATE_NUMBER look under Tax Formula Identifiers.

insource
04-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks a bunch, kh_design and LauraG. i really appreciate your inputs here.

I got the sample payroll to match the EMPLOYEE part of the previous month's payroll. I still have to do some work on the employER part in the next week.

Also, We had a payroll service, which ran the payroll for the 1st 3 months of this year. Now we are going to use PT and run it ourselves. Is it a good idea to run payrolls for this employee for the 1st 3 months in PT for record purposes (run payroll with a dummy check number, void check and never sent out the actual check - it will just have records in PT and also a copy of the paystub)?
The payroll services we had, ran an paystub for the 1st month (and we cut a manual check) and then did Direct deposits for the next 2 months

Thanks

LauraG
04-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I would check with the payroll service to see how they will or will not be handling the 2008 w-2s. My guess is they will not be sending partial year w-2s.

I would replace the checks/direct deposits cashed with PT produced paychecks so that your year end w-2s have the right taxes withheld. Use payroll reports to confirm that all of your tax IDs are setup properly. For the check number I would use the original check number + some character such as "R" so that it will be easy to identify which paychecks you are dealing with.

It will mean fixing the January - March bank recs to check off the net checks you deleted/voided and to acknowledge the replacement payroll checks from the system. Unclear the original paychecks entered in the bank recs so that you can void them in the system. Use the original date of the check for your void date. When you are done there will not be any impact to your monthly financial reports.

atb_admin
03-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi,
here;s what i have for MDSIT:
S = MINMAX (ANNUAL (ADJUSTED_GROSS) * 15%, 1500, 2000);
T = ANNUAL(ADJUSTED_GROSS) - S - (EMP_STATE_ALLOWANCES * 3200);
A=-TABLE (T);
B= -T * (EMP_SPECIAL2_NUMBER/100);
C = A + B;
Z = ANNUAL(ADJUSTED_GROSS);
ANSWER = IF(Z<5000,0, PRORATE(C))-EMP_STATE_NUMBER

but it is not calculating, i checked the % and that is the correct numbers for MD..What am i doing wrong......

Same for the State and Federal taxes-they are just not calculating....

MDSUI ER 11

LIMIT=8500.00;
PERCENT=0.22;
TAXABLE_GROSS=YTD_LIMIT(ADJUSTED_GROSS,LIMIT);
ANSWER=-TAXABLE_GROSS*PERCENT%

MDFIT 11

ANSWER = -PRORATE (TABLE (ANNUAL (ADJUSTED_GROSS) -
(EMP_FEDERAL_ALLOWANCES * 3700))) - EMP_FEDERAL_EXTRA

Can you please help me figure it out?

Thanks