PDA

View Full Version : Installing PeachTree Complete V. 11 for Dos

Meny
05-20-2002, 06:03 PM
Do I need new software? I have v. 11 for dos on older computer. This older computer will not let me back up files for some reason. I tried to install my v. 11 which was an upgrade from other older versions purchased to a different computer. I am getting an "error reading config.sys" when I install. I have backup of data files, but not system files from old computer. Do data files also have the company info on them; i.e., payroll employee names etc. and a/p vendor names etc.? Is this upgrade version installable to run without having the old version on the computer? It will come up to all screens, but will not recognize data files when I try to restore to new comuter. Do I have to set up all the company/vendor/employee info or do I need to buy new windows version of PeachTree?

jag
05-20-2002, 09:52 PM
You have several issues here, I will try to address all of them.

First, in what OS you are trying to install Peachtree DOS v11? I will assume that you are using Windows Me (but it could be 2000 or XP, since all of them gives the same error).

Long story short:

Windows Me (and 2000/XP BTW) don't use the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat in the same way that older OS versions did. That error that you are receiving "error reading config.sys" is normal. But, you got to manualy change the configuration settings.

The fix:

Open C:\Windows\System.ini and look for the [386enh] section, there you should add/modify a line that says: PerVMFiles=255

Open(edit) C:\PCA\PEACH.BAT and add the following lines to the top of the file:
SET OVERLAY_HEAP=1
SET PC3ID=CO (or whatever you configuration is)
Make sure you create the program icon based on that file.

Other Windows versions will need similar tweaks, go to the Peachtree Knowledge center and look for a white paper on your OS and/or post back with the OS that you are using to receive further instructions (look for old posts too... I have may have explained this a couple of times).

Second Issue:

I think that even if you have an upgrade version you can install it without using the previous version. Anyway, you don't have to buy anything... Worst Case Scenario--> put the previous version first.

Third Issue:

How did you backup your data from your old computer? Did you use Peachtree's backup program or plain-old windows backup?

If you are using the Peachtree backup, you only have to enter the basic company information. Type the two-letter code and create the new company, add the address and phone no. Then open the utilities module and restore. There's is no "system files" to back up... what did you mean by that?

If you are using Plain-Backup, just copy the data folders C:\PCA\XXYYDATA to the new location and do the same procedure as above (unless you backed up the program data too and you don't even have to install it). The only difference is that you have to open each module manually and answer "no" when it asks if you want to overwrite the existing files. That's all !!!

Other things that you have to consider

In any case you got to use the same two-letter code for your new computer as you did on your old one. There's a workaround for that... but I will not give the details now.

If you have your old computer still running. I would copy the C:\PCA directory (including subfolders) to the new computer at the same location (you can do this by removing the hard disk from the old computer and use both on the new one... but remember to change the slave/master jumper if needed). Then, use the steps mentioned in the first part of this post to tweak the OS to use PCA DOS and finally create the shorcut on the desktop.

Cannot be easier than that :)

Good Bye Message

Please post back with your results. If you need further assistance I would be more than glad to help. I hope that you solve your issue.

Take care,

Meny
05-20-2002, 10:43 PM
I am trying to install on Windows 98. I have 5 gig on drive C and 20 gig on drive D. I'm trying put PeachTree Complete v. 11 for Dos on drive D by installing it from the original floppy disks at the Dos prompt from drive D. I backed up the data files from the utilities menu on PeachTree on my old computer. The third item under backup options is to backup system files. The first item is to backup all modules and the second one is for individual modules. I only use A/P and Payroll so have backed up data files for those two modules.

Years ago I started out with one of the very first versions of PeachTree. The problem now is I have ditched several of the older versions. I have PeachTree III Complete v. 5 left and the upgrade V. 11. So I'm not 100% sure I would be able to install the older version since I've bought updates. I'll see what I can do to get it running and post back tomorrow.

Meny
05-21-2002, 01:21 PM
I finally have the PeachTree Ver. 11 installed to new computer. I have been able to backup the data I have also. However, when I try to access the A/P i get an error message that says, "Files are Open For Update By Another Program." There is no other program on my drive D. Any suggestions? Thanks.

jag
05-21-2002, 02:41 PM
Edit C:\Config.sys

Must have a line that says:

FILES=225

If that line is already there, increment the number to 225.

That should fix the problem.

HTH,

Meny
05-21-2002, 05:26 PM
At this time, there is nothing in the config.sys file in my computer with Windows 98. Is PeachTree possibly the only program that uses the File= command? It is not on another computer I have here which has Windows ME either. Just want to make sure by adding it to the file it will not disrupt anything else. Thanks again.

jag
05-22-2002, 04:47 AM
Meny,

Another long story short:

By default Windows (and DOS for that matter) let's DOS programs runs with 30 files opened at the same time.

What are you telling to do is to let it open up to 225 files at the same time. It is a setting that it was used long time ago, but since DOS programs are the only one who needs it and let's face it... there are not many DOS programs running nowadays.

The answer is "change the config.sys" it wouln't disrupt anything in Windows.

The Windows Me computer is another story (well NT, 2000 and XP too for that matter), in Windows Me you don't use Config.sys in the same way (see previous post). The same setting is located in the System.ini on the [386Enh] section with the PerVMFiles=225 (which means Per Virtual Machine Files, the mode were DOS programs runs in Windows).

I hope this helps,