PDA

View Full Version : DOS Print

masterflagg
06-24-2002, 03:39 PM
Here is a puzzler for you...

Can't print from Classic 11 on Windows 2000 Pro to locally attached (LPT1) Epson Printer.

Can print from Windows Apps to this printer.

Can't print by "Copy filename.txt lpt1:"

So basically I can print from any Windows apps, but no DOS apps

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Chad(chad@cw-duluth.com)

jag
06-29-2002, 02:07 PM
Chad,

This sounds like you have a cable or a printer port problem.

This is what I would do:

1) Create boot disks from a Win 9x computer (or better yet use the Booteable CD-ROM if you have one available)

2) Boot your computer from disk in MSDOS mode.

3) Try printing using the EDIT program, open any text file and print it there. The Edit program is in the Win9x CD-ROM. If that does not works try using "Copy filename.txt lpt1" or "PRINT /D:LPT1 filename.txt".

4) If it still does not print... you have good luck (now you know is not a Win2k issue). If it prints... it's a Win2k thing and you will need some new drivers for the ports and/or the printer.

5) Change the Printer cable (make sure it is IEEE1394).

6) Go to the computer BIOS and change the printer port mode to ECP (You could also try different settings).

Maybe you would like to skip steps 1-4... but that's the only way to tell for sure.

Hope this helps a bit,

masterflagg
07-01-2002, 07:37 AM
Well, I wanted to post something to let you all know that I did get this resolved, but not easily.

This had 0 to do with Peachtree, all to do with Windows 2000.

"Fresh" install took care of the issue. I have no idea what file was corrupted, but something was, and it works fine now that I re-installed W2K cleanly.

Chad

jag
07-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Windows works in misterious ways !!!

:)