PDA

View Full Version : 4 hours + to post at end of month

Peachtree fan
07-02-2002, 01:41 PM
I just spoke with someone that has PT Dos 11 that takes over 4 hours to post at the end of the month. They have about 600 sales invoices a month. Is that normal for PT Dos?
Thanks

chikamic
07-02-2002, 01:58 PM
That is quite a lot of volume for Peachtree, they need to consider moving to a higher end package if they can afford it.

jag
07-02-2002, 06:54 PM
I respectfully disagree...

I think they must have something wrong in their system... I have entered +1500 invoices a month for a single company with no really big slowdown in our systems (only that it takes more time to close out periods).

Maybe they have some issues with hardware (faulty NICs, cables, ect.) or could be software related.

chikamic
07-02-2002, 08:15 PM
I stand down to the senior member, I am merely a technician. Listen. to jag.

kmuh
07-03-2002, 12:18 AM
There is someone I know who has arround 10,000 transactions a month using PCA V.7.0 (DOS) and closes in only 45 minutes complete!!

jag
07-03-2002, 04:54 AM
Talking about pushing PCA DOS to the limits... 10,000 transactions... that's a lot !!!

This is why I like the DOS version more than the Windows version... if this were the Windows version it would have crashed like 50 times (if you were really lucky).

As Chikamic very well pointed out in another post, the fact that PCA DOS is modular by design is a great improvement in order to manage a lot of different transactions.

Peachtree fan
07-03-2002, 09:02 AM
Based on what was just said I'd like to hear different opinions.
This client has been using PT Dos for years. They know nothing about computers . They use PT just to get a report at the end of the month on their
A/R. In the middle of the month they only
look at seperate transations, no totals.
G/L , write ups , A/P , Excel , PT Windows
don't exsist by them. They put in their 600 invoices every month and don't do anything untill something goes wrong.
They just added a Windows workstation
and it was set up correctly.
Can their files get too big? Something is wrong because the one with 10,000 is not taking hours to close like they are.
Assuming that problem gets fixed and they are interested in putting in the time
and money to become" enlighted" to the
world of Windows. Should they go away from PT Dos? I do not know how many use PT Dos and how long Best will support it . No one is coming to Dos they are only leaving. Maybe Dos is the utopia and they should become a living
tribute to it's glory. thanks I better stop here.

jag
07-03-2002, 06:00 PM
Hi,

My golden rule is: "If it's not broken... don't fix it"

So, what I mean by this is that... if your client likes what he has right now and they don't see any advantage on spending money on a more robust accounting package... don't change their PCA DOS. Peachtree DOS still has some breath within (in fact the new version is shipping at the end of this month) and I'm sure you would be able to run it for many more years (maybe at the expense of having an old OS).

The important thing here is to fix what's broken... in other words: How can you get decent performance in that computer. You are right in thinking that their data can get too big... but the thing is that it could depend too many things. If you (your client) decide to go ahead on this endeavor you will need to provide us some info.

You will be surprised on how much people still run PCA DOS in 386 machines (with monocromatic displays) and even more surprising is the fact that they expect those machines run as fast as a P3-500 PCs.

One last thing... While IMHO 600 invoices are not too much trouble for PCA DOS... that's not true for Peachtree 2002. If your client ever decides to change accounting packages I wouldn't recomend (even to my worst enemy) to use PCAW. Your client will have to spend some $$$ in Bussiness Works, MAS or in the now-nearly-defunct... PT2000.

chikamic
07-03-2002, 06:18 PM
I totally agree with jag, the cardinal rule in accounting software is "if it ain't broke don't fix it". It is, however, difficult to convince people that a DOS product is far superior to a windows one, but I know from supporting both that PCA is far less troublsome and more robust than PCAW. I, like jag would not recommend a switch from PCA to PCAW to my worst enemy.

Peachtree fan
07-03-2002, 09:02 PM
The network (peer to peer) has been maintained . The software has not . Where do we go from here?
I really appreciate your help .

chikamic
07-03-2002, 09:13 PM
What version of PCA are they running and what is the OS??

chikamic
07-03-2002, 09:14 PM
I just read the prior posts are these the clients running PCA 7.0??

jag
07-04-2002, 05:16 AM
From the first post in this thread I understood that they were running PCA DOS v11...

As Chickamic said... The OS version is very important to know for each machine.

Other info that might be good to have too:

-Size of each module data folder
-Machine Specs
-Network Architecture (Ethernet/Coax??? 10/100???, Hub/Switch???)
-How much garbage Windows has accumulated?
-Any other info that you might think is pertinent

When you said "Network has been maintained, software is not" what exactly do you mean by that? All of the software, including OS, Apps and Peachtree? or only Peachtree? or What?

Peachtree fan
07-04-2002, 12:56 PM
They just had an upgrade of hardware. Before they were running one single machine on Windows 98SE 128 MB of Ram ,450Mhz. Now they are running Peer to Peer . Pca Dos v 11 is running on the main machine which is a P4 1.8 Ghz 256 MB of Ram, Windows 2000.It was set up properly. They have not closed on the new machine.
Software means Pca Dos v 11. The one who uses it knows very little more than how to make sales invoices ,put in receipts and close . Their computer consultant has maintained everything but PT.
I would have to walk them through reading me the size of the module data folder over the phone. I have only used PCAW not PCA. Is it the same way? Am I looking for a file that is close to the company name? They only use A/R.
"Garbage Windows has accumulated". You mean in the Temp files?
Thanks You're great

jag
07-04-2002, 03:37 PM
Happy 4th of July !!!

I think with the information that you just provided it will do for now.

Just for your information the folder should be something like C:\PCA\XXARDATA where XX is the two letter abbreviation of the company... but don't bother them with this for now.

Did the 4hrs simptoms started when you started using Windows 2000 machine??? or they have been increasing gradually? Do this behavior is only seen when you post invoices? How about when you close a periods?

Things to check/do:

-Make a backup (I hope you guessed this one)
-Turn off antivirus and/or disk utilities programs (I would uninstall them for this tests).
-Make sure you are running Peachtree DOS in FULL SCREEN MODE in Windows 2000 (very important).
-Do a recover data files rutine
-Do a delete old files rutine
-Make sure that the user has administrative privileges
-Verify that you have correctly setted up the systems variables (remember than in Win2k config.sys is not used... you got to use config.nt which is in the C:\WinNT\System32\ directory and check in My Computer->Properties->Advanced tab->Enviromental Variables there should be this two entries: OVERLAY_HEAP=1 and PC3ID=CO)

This is what came off the top of my head right now... this list is in no particular order (except for the first item) and I have taken the liberty of playing with the data because you have a full backup.

If you found what's the problem... let's us know... if not... I'm sure you will let us know too !!!

See ya (I'm gonna see some fireworks now),

brianmf
07-08-2002, 09:58 AM
We are running PT v12 in a W2k environment. We haven't noticed the need to give all the Peachtree users Administrative Priviledges. I have one as a standard user and another as a superuser (for other reasons) and they work fine. I wouldn't recommend giving users administrative priviledges unless it is absolutely necessary, as it allows a user to get into more serious trouble. (uninstalling apps, deleting system files and such)

We did have a problem with network speed that was eventually traced to a consumer version of Norton Anti-Virus. The problem appeared when more than two clients tried to access the files on the server at a time. Evidently, the consumer version of the software is set to scan files on network drives as they are accessed. When two computers were tring to access the files, the two copies of NAV were fighting to scan the files. We switched to NAV Corporate Edition and set it to exclude the scanning of network shares to solve the problem. It's been working great ever since.

Just my $0.02

Brian

jag
07-08-2002, 02:59 PM
Point well taken...

But, I have seen problems with the DOS version (and other versions) and win2k/xp because privileges. I got to admit they are very rare... and usually is because someone did something odd with 2K/XP. Nevertheless, when I'm troubleshooting I try to isolate all other variables that could affect the issue here... like an anti-virus.

For example, if it turns out to be the anti-virus... the solution to the problem won't be to eliminate it... but to stop scanning the Peachtree data directory.

Anyway, you are right... giving local administrative privileges to a common user is definetely not the way to go !!!

chikamic
07-08-2002, 03:05 PM
I agree with jag, I am a MCSE and I have indeed seen cases with the DOS product where privileges have been an issue. While local admin rights are not necessarily the way to go, you will want to test as many variables as possible then make the necessary adjustments in the win2K environment.

Peachtree fan
07-09-2002, 09:58 AM
They only post at the end of the month because
they find it easier to tell the difference between this months
activity and previous activity. Don't they have an aged recievable
report?
Could you answer my question about seeing balances in the middle of the month? It seems everyone took off on vacation.
I appreciate all of your help.