PDA

View Full Version : PCA Directory is over 1gig

chrismc
08-14-2002, 07:10 PM
We are getting ready to upgrade from Peachtree Accounting for DOS v11 to Peachtree Classic Accounting v13. I only know enough about Peachtree to be dangerous <G> so please be specific in any recomendations. Anyway, the current PCA directory is over 1 gig. This seems like an awful lot of data for a company our size (`25 employees). Can anyone give me some input on how to safely remove some of the older data? Since there's a conversion in v13, I'd like to minimize the amount of data that needs to be converted.

Anyone succesfully converted their data? Or is it better to export what you want and import it into v13?

Thanks!

Chris

chikamic
08-14-2002, 08:50 PM
Please email me and let me know a good time to call you on Friday. I can help you purge some old generations but it is best that we be in communication, so I can observe some things first hand.

chrismc
08-19-2002, 05:22 PM
While I was extremely happy to have chickamic offer to call and discuss this issue, I've been stood up twice now and have a deadline to meet. So... I'd like to request any additional info that anyone might can share. Here's a little more info; the bulk of the space is being used by the the following directories:
CCARDATA - 723 MB
CCAPDATA - 133 MB
Within the CCARDATA the biggest file is named SIORDDET.DCC. I understand that this is the Order detail file and it is just under 80 MB. The remainder of the disk space used in this directory is from MANY generation files (they've acutally rolled over once). I think I can use the Disk Maintenance program to remove these unused generation files without a problem. However, does 80MB for the Order details sound feasible? Seems quite bloated to me. Can I delete order detail up to a point in history, or is it all or nothing? The boss would like to keep all of 2001 and 2002 data and purge the rest. Is this possible? Also, is it possible to do a parallel install (ie have both V11 for DOS and V13 installed on the same machine and run simutaneously?) I'm thinking the PCADATA environment variable will cause problems since it can't point to two places at the same time (or know which one to use). Also, would you recommend upgrading the client machines (we're running multiuser mode on the network) or simply do a fresh install on the client side?

Upgrade is set for the 1st, but I need to have my test environment functional this week for end user training on the changes, and fine tuning on reports and printing.

Thanks to all, and I'll keep everyone updated on my upgrade and the problems I encounter.

Chris

chrismc
08-19-2002, 05:41 PM
While I was extremely happy to have chickamic offer to call and discuss this issue, I've been stood up twice now and have a deadline to meet. So... I'd like to request any additional info that anyone might can share. Here's a little more info; the bulk of the space is being used by the the following directories:
CCARDATA - 723 MB
CCAPDATA - 133 MB
Within the CCARDATA the biggest file is named SIORDDET.DCC. I understand that this is the Order detail file and it is just under 80 MB. The remainder of the disk space used in this directory is from MANY generation files (they've acutally rolled over once). I think I can use the Disk Maintenance program to remove these unused generation files without a problem. However, does 80MB for the Order details sound feasible? Seems quite bloated to me. Can I delete order detail up to a point in history, or is it all or nothing? The boss would like to keep all of 2001 and 2002 data and purge the rest. Is this possible? Also, is it possible to do a parallel install (ie have both V11 for DOS and V13 installed on the same machine and run simutaneously?) I'm thinking the PCADATA environment variable will cause problems since it can't point to two places at the same time (or know which one to use). Also, would you recommend upgrading the client machines (we're running multiuser mode on the network) or simply do a fresh install on the client side?

Upgrade is set for the 1st, but I need to have my test environment functional this week for end user training on the changes, and fine tuning on reports and printing.

Thanks to all, and I'll keep everyone updated on my upgrade and the problems I encounter.

Chris

chikamic
08-19-2002, 07:29 PM
Chris,

I apologize for not being able to get to you, I am still working with my client from Friday, I have actually been working with them all weekend as well.

What you should do is go into your PCA data directory, change the view to show you details and from the create dates on these files you can see which generations coorespond to which fiscal periods and years. Make careful notes of the generations that are dispensible, then go into utilities and delete. Also, view transfer files and make sure that there are no old transfer files out there, those can be deleted as well.

In addition, you can run DELCOAS, which will clean up industry specific chart of accounts. From a command prompt change to the PCA directory and then type DELCOAS.

You may also choose to purge transaction detail for older generations (old tranaction detail is probably most of the bloat). And, last but not least if you have files out there from v10 or below you can run the delete data files from previous versions of Peachtree.

I would suggest that after you clean up your hard disk that you run ScanDisk and Defrag in that order.

Hope this helps.