PDA

View Full Version : Printing Invoices in Complete 7.0

bclasen
08-21-2001, 05:48 PM
Hi,
I just came into this company - they were using Complete 7.0 & using the standard invoice. I've modified the invoice (added graphics & fonts) & it looks great. Prior to my arrival, the company was using Peachtree in single user mode. I now have multiple users.

The problem is printing the invoice. Unlike other reports, when we print invoices, we don't get to select the printer at the time of running. To change the printer, we need to go into design & select the printer there & save it. This screws it up for the next person. Outside of creating a different invoice for each user, is there a way to select a printer at the time of running the invoice?

Thanks,
Bob

asphelpdeskinc
08-21-2001, 09:11 PM
When you change from single to multi user, your must put custom invoice and other forms in the shared directory, i.e. F:\PEACHW (assuming your other users are mapped to logical drive F:).

Since you apparently specified a printer in your form design and saved it, unless that printer name is available on the other computers with exactly the same name you may have a problem. It is better not to specify a printer if you intend to have users print the form from their own workstation on their default printer.

Specifying a printer and saving it in the form works great if you always want a form to go to one particular printer on a network, or draw paper from a specific drawer of a printer.

Without knowing more specifics about your network, etc. it is difficult to comment further.

Jim Ronson
http://www.asphelpdeskinc.com

bclasen
08-23-2001, 04:19 PM
Jim - I appreciate your response. The only problem is I went back to the form and there's no way to remove a default printer for the invoices so I'm in the same boat. As you mention, since the printers are named differently at different workstations, this is causing a problem.
Do you know if version 8 has the same limitation (i.e. can't select a printer at the time of running)?

Thanks,
Bob

asphelpdeskinc
08-23-2001, 06:16 PM
You might try this:

1-Open a standard invoice in form design mode.
2-Click anywhere in the form and use CTRL-A to select all
3-Press <Delete> to remove all form information
4-Save the form as "Empty Invoice"
5-Open your custom invoice in form design mode.
6-Click anywhere in the form and use CTRL-A to select all
7-Press CTRL-C to copy
8-Close your form - do not save changes
9-Open "Empty Invoice" in form design mode.
10-Click anywhere in the form and use CTRL-V to paste all
11-Save the form as a new custom name
12-Delete "Empty Form"

This should have removed the printer information stored and should use the computer default printer.

No guarantees, but this is what I would try.

Jim Ronson
http://www.asphelpdeskinc.com

bclasen
08-24-2001, 09:32 AM
Thanks Jim, that was a good suggestion. By doing this, that invoice now always defaults to the local printer of that station which is fine for a couple of people. Unfortunately, a couple of others need to print to a color printer that is not local. So for those people, I'm making an invoice specific to them with the network printer embedded in that form.

Thanks again,
Bob