PDA

View Full Version : each generation contains cumulative data

SteveD
08-26-2002, 02:23 PM
I'm using ver 11/DOS, over a 4 person network; running Win 95 and Win 98 machines.

Whenever I create a PDQ report, it seems as though the data in a generation contains not only the data created that month, but data from "all" (or at least most of) the previous generations as well.

Is there a way to "turn off" this cumulative effect? What are the pros and cons of doing so ?
Does Peachtree set it up this way by default, or did I inadvertantly choose this option, not knowing the ramifications ?

If a person *wants* to see multiple generations, why don't they just create reports from the History view ?

Lastly, is there any correlation between this and how often the "Purge data" or the "delete old data files" is used ?

Thanks much for your attention !!!
Steve

chikamic
08-31-2002, 10:49 AM
The keep historical detail option in the module options controls whether you keep detail from previous generations in AP and AR.

If you need to keep historical detail, you can selectively limit the amount you bring forward when you close. I recommend to my customers that they purge detail during the close current period process, the purge process allows you to choose exactly how many months of detail you keep.

SteveD
08-31-2002, 04:21 PM
Thanks for your answer.

So is it true that each generation contains all previous generations, assuming that both the "Keep Historical Detail" switch is on, and that you haven't purged any data ?

(In other words, by December, Gen 12 would actually contain Gen's 1-12, correct?)

So if I chose to purge all previous months every time I close a month, is there any way to run PDQ reports showing a year's worth of activity ? (I'd like to report all AP expenses for the year, by expense code.)

How many months would you recommend keeping ?

And in ANY case, I'm assuming that if I EVER say "Purge data", remaining open invoices will still be shown, right ?

Thanks Again, this has been bugging me a long time !

Steve

chikamic
08-31-2002, 06:06 PM
Not exactly, when keep historical detail is set to Y the generations contain only the transactions for the generation but historical detail for all transactions rolls forward.

You should retain detail for the number of periods that you need to reference in your PDQ reports or would like to query. The number of generations you retain will depend on the scope of data you need to analyze. In the case of wanting to reference the entire year, you would need to retain the historical data for the year. However, I would purge it all when you close the year to keep your files of a manageable size.

Purging does not get rid of open items. In order to purge closed invoices themselves you must do it through invoicing/order entry or AR directly.

SteveD
08-31-2002, 07:35 PM
Thanks again.

What's confusing to me is that when I create a PDQ report, the system asks for my generation number. Then, when I run the report, PDQ doesn't limit the report to just the transactions from the generation I entered when I started/opened PDQ.
(Instead, it lists transations from multiple gen's.)
It *seems* that this is the case with any PDQ VIEW I choose, although I can't say that for sure.

The above would make sense to me ONLY if I have chosen multiple gen's from the HISTORIC View.

How can I limit my reports to any one generation ?

Thanks for your tireless-ness.

Steve