PDA

View Full Version : Changing Accounting Periods

Maureen
08-24-2001, 07:03 AM
My company here in New Jersey USA is a sub of a Dutch (Netherlands) company. We have been SOLD and must have our monthly closings in our new parent company in Finland by the 5th of the following month. This means I must, by the 25th of each month, give my monthly closing to the Netherlands so they can incorporate them in their numbers to give to Finland by the 5th.
Is there any way I can change the closing dates of each month? Please help if you can. Thank you.

answers@TriMark
08-24-2001, 09:34 AM
Once you setup your company, you cannot change your accounting periods.

Does the new data entry begin on 5th and end on 25th?
If so, you must start company over and correctly enter period beginning and ending dates.

If not, just do not enter anything after 25th.

Maureen
08-24-2001, 10:55 AM
My new accounting periods will be the 26th to the 25th of the next month not the 1st to the 30/31st of each month.

If I open up a new company now, can I have the above dates?

I can not find anything in the books stating my months can be started in one month and end in another month.

Thanks again for you quick reply.

Maureen

answers@TriMark
08-24-2001, 11:15 AM
You will need to use custom periods when you setup the new company.

ccswerrie
10-03-2001, 08:47 AM
You can change your accounting periods without losing your data by setting up a new company with the new period dates and then pointing the data from the old company to the new company. The process is explained in the Peachtree fax document "Rebuild".

METRO
01-31-2002, 10:36 AM
ccswerrie,

How do I get the fax document entitled rebuild? I am in the same situation, but the online help instructions for exporting & importing the data from the old company are less than helpful.

Thanks.

ccswerrie
01-31-2002, 11:23 PM
I got the "rebuild" document just now by going to Peachtree.com, entering the knowledge database and entering "rebuid" as my search. The first item that came up was the correct one to take me to the correct document. It mentioned changing accounting year.

The process is very tedious if you have lots of data you want to transfer. I was successful in making the transfer of data from 1997 through 2001 in one Peachtree company to a new Peachtree company with the correct year-end. It took 2 of us 25+ hours working together at the computer. You just follow the rebuild steps EXACTLY and save your progress in the new company frequently. If there are any Peachtree data glitches, the data does not transfer correctly.

To check the data for errors, you export each file (one at a time) into EXCEL (with column headers) and check each EXCEL cell to see that the data is "in the right place". (you'll be able to see where the data belongs when you see the EXCEL table). You need to fix all data errors before you try to import it into the new company.

Good luck! If it had been up to me, I would have started the new company from scratch and entered the open transactions and gone on from there, but the client wanted to retain all the history. So we jumped in and were ultimately successful. I wish you the same success!

Colleen Swerrie, CPA

METRO
02-01-2002, 09:04 AM
I checked their help system yesterday, but I got no results when I searched on rebuild. I went back this morning & it worked. Their system may have been down.

Thanks for your advice.