PDA

View Full Version : Backup in v13 to CDR drive?

pchtreesoft
09-09-2002, 06:44 PM
I think I read somewhere that v13 can backup to a CDR drive, if Windows has MSBACKUP.EXE installed (or whatever the WIN98 backup routine is called). This would be much easier than swapping a big stack of floppies!

Anybody accomplished this??
TIA,

Bob

chikamic
09-09-2002, 07:41 PM
1. Select Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup to start the backup program. If you do not have this option, you may need to install it using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows 98 Control Panel.

2. Click OK to create a new backup job.

3. On the next screen, select Back up selected files, folders, and drives. Then, click Next.

4. Click on the plus sign beside the C drive (where C is the drive the data resides on.)

5. Next, click on the plus sign next to any folders necessary in order to drill down to your data file locations.

6. Put a checkmark in the empty box beside each of your company’s data file directories. Then, click Next.

7. On the next screen, select All selected files. Then, click Next.

The next screen will ask you where you would like to backup

8. Select the destination for the backup and then click on the Next button. In this example, we are backing up to the A (floppy) drive.
The next screen will display backup options.

9. Select Compare original and backup files to verify data was successfully backed up and Compress the backup data to save space, then click Next.

12. The next screen will prompt you to name the backup. Type in a name and click Start to begin backing up your company’s data.

jthobby
09-22-2002, 04:17 AM
Wel I am bum now, i spent 3 days and talked to 3 different support people on the phone for other problems and I was told that peachtree does not support backups to cd rom, they said the best thing would be a Zip drive and so i spent $206.00 for this setup and yes the zip drive works wonderful , but here as i type this my backup is being done onto the cd rom as you stated in the proceding post. So now how come the support people tell you they cannot be done?
sounds like some support people need some more schooling!

chikamic
09-22-2002, 08:24 AM
The truth is, PT would rather you backup through Peachtree for the reason that all PT techs can instruct you on how to restore a backup made that way and when made through other means it is a little more difficult to instruct the customer on how to restore it if necessary (since the process is a little more involved).

The bad thing is, the instructions in the above post came directly from Peachtree.

jthobby
10-02-2002, 12:45 PM
Well, now that it has been a few weeks I have been successful backing up to the zip drive, in the matter of min as well as restoring from the zip drive, not that I had to, but I wanted to see how it worked and it did it very well.
But now I am complex and when I called customer support the person could not answer this question either.
I back up 40 Mb's total for 1 company. So why does it after 8 MB's it comes back and ask me to insert Disk 2, which I was doing, and then the balance of 32 Mb's would go n the second disk.
I was using 100 MB disk, and so figure that it should all fit on one, I even reformatted and this did not help,
So when at office Max chatting about the zip drive and how disappointed i was in the lack of useless tape unused because i couldn't get pass 1 disk, the kid said why not just hit return and see what it does, so i did that and sure enough the back up continue on.
So my question is WHY does it tell me to insert the 2nd disk!. Peachtree support told me they could not test it for they were not set up for zip backup even Thu this is what they recommend!

T1Mickey
10-23-2002, 03:19 PM
I backup to a zip drive. I have a very large customer file and a huge invoicing and inventory file.

You have to erase the zip disk before you use it again. I have 3 zip disks that I rotate.

When you backup thru PT, it erases the floppies before it starts the new backup.. So we forget this when we start doing our own backups out side of PT.

Thanks
Terry

jthobby
10-23-2002, 05:52 PM
Terry
yes i just found out today that even thou i was using the same disk for my 2nd disk it was eraseing the first data, so now i am back to using 2 disk per back up. one disk with 8 mb and balance on the 2nd disk.
Yes i rotate my disk also , so i have at least one older backup copy,
But now are you telling me you are doing the backup outside of PT and if you are how are you doing that to enable your zip drive
thanks

T1Mickey
10-24-2002, 10:59 AM
Jim,

I am still using v 12.05 because we always wait to install the new version to see if there are any patches. I have the disk for v 13 and even have my enhancements from SK consulting. My boss told me to check out this site to see if v 13 was working okay. I learned alot.

I backup my A/R - Invoicing thru windows explorer to a zip disk. But like someone else stated above, it is a little harder to restore. But I was up to 10 floppy discs and found this was necessary.

If you check the data on your first zip disc maybe you will find it is backing up more data than you thought.

I wish I could help you more.

Good Luck
Terry

chikamic
10-25-2002, 10:57 PM
It is very important for PCA users to understand that ALL data with historical detail (if you choose to retain it) remains resident in the PCA directory until you delete manually. Check your PCA manual for explantion of the disk maintenance utilities. It is important that you regularly delete old data files for PCA to operate efficiently.