PDA

View Full Version : Printing in V. 13

Tots
09-17-2002, 12:12 PM
We just converted from V. 11 to V.13 and the only problems we are having is in the printing area. When printing both payroll and A/P checks, it seems that the check format is changed - it is like empty lines take up a great deal of space on the check. The last fields of the check print right above the perferation. This then carries over to the next check and nothing is in alignment. I have check our old printer settings and they have not changed. The program is reading from the printer codes we had before. Even on regular reports, the page alignment is wrong and by the 4th page, it is printing the first line on the bottom of the 3rd page. Any ideas on what to look at?

chikamic
09-18-2002, 09:52 PM
V13 now prints directly from the windows print driver. You will need to set up a custom paper size in the properties of your printer driver. It should be 8.5 inches by 6.5 inches. You will need to choose this custom paper setting to print your checks. See page 423 of the v13 Getting Started Guide.

chrismc
09-19-2002, 10:00 PM
We had a similar problem printing checks on an Okidata ML 320 after upgrading to v13 too. Note that the getting started guide is misleading on PG 420 #8 when it states:

"Type Y or N to indicate whether or not this is a direct printer. When you setup a printer as a direct printer, REPORTS and FORMS print exactly as they did in PCA for DOS"

This is wrong. It took a call to Peachtree to find this out. Of course if I'd read the bright orange card that came with the software, the statement was revised to state that only REPORTS print exactly as they did in PCA for DOS when using a direct printer. Our solution was not to use a Direct printer (with our old definition for page size, etc) and use the non-direct Windows version as stated in the previous post and setting up a custom page size. I also had to update the windows driver to get it to work properly. We had a similar problem printing Invoices to a Panasonic KX-P 2130. I had to use an Epson LQ-860 driver to get it to work properly. Both are MUCH slower now, and Peachtree has no work around. I've tried all the low quality settings, etc, none of which improved the print speed.

It's my opinion that the "Windows Printing" that Peachtree is pushing isn't worth a flip and if it's a major reason for your upgrade, your gonna be disappointed. For instance if your default windows printer is not one of the few that actually work with their own drivers, you might receive this wonderfully informative error when running IQ reports:

"Internal XVT Error: 33400-3047941"

Which means to change your default Windows printer (not your peachtree printer) to one that it likes, which is none at our facility except for a old and tired HP LJ 4L.

IQ also now updates all your reports to use 4-Digit years (ie 2002 instead of 02) which caused us to have to fix almost all of our reports since the longer year caused overtype in most of them. While I can appreciate the option of using 4 digit years, it would have been nice to have the option to turn this off globally, not having to change each individual occurance in each individual report. Or better yet let me turn it on if I wanted it. If I sound a bit angry it's because we had alot of custom reports that barely fit on a page to begin with, and I had to fix them all.

Windows printing - not hardly.

Chris

chikamic
09-19-2002, 10:05 PM
Thanks Chris.

We Support Professionals get the "info" from Peachtree but it takes users like you to expose the "real story", which is why this forum is so important.

Tots
09-22-2002, 11:26 AM
I was able to find an older printer driver that seems to have worked for the AP checks. It is not configured as a direct printer and I set up a custom 850 by 650 paper size. The problem is that Payroll checks don't work with this. I have approached it in two ways - first I set up another printer with custom paper size and it does not work. I also tried setting it up as a direct printer, using a Payroll printer - Epson most models configuration. This clears up the length of the paper, but now the font is much smaller and it prints only halfway across the check. Any ideas on what to try next? Manually feeding over 200 paychecks is not an option!

chikamic
09-22-2002, 12:05 PM
Unfortunately, I think you are now faced with having to contact Peachtree tech support. When dealing with a new release they will have a larger body of knowledge to deal with. The problem you are facing may be a known issue and they may have developed a work around.

Let us know what you find out.

Tots
09-22-2002, 01:16 PM
After a great deal of frustration, what I did was delete any copies of the printer which I had previously set up and left only a laser (which reports go to) and the Epson with the customized setting. I cleaned up all the Printer configs in Peachtree and had to do a cold boot for Peachtree to finally recognize the changes. Peachtree kept seeing old configuration setups even when the printer had been deleted from the Windows Printer setup. All seems well now. Although I have been working with and supporting Peachtree for over 13 years, it seems to me that the QA of new releases is a joke. It could be expected from small startups with no experience, but Peachtree has been on the market long enough to have some sort of quality standards in place. I will never recommend for clients to upgrade unless absolutely neccessary and then at least 4 - 6 months after release.

chikamic
09-22-2002, 01:52 PM
I am glad that you were able to solve your problems. I will keep your posts in mind as I am sure some of my upgrading clients will encounter the same problem.

As a former Peachtree tech support rep, I will tell you that I always recommend that my customers wait at least 6 months after release to upgrade. Accounting data is too important to companies to leave these things to chance. And we know that Peachtree is kind of debug as you go.