PDA

View Full Version : Sortjob.DAT and Network Permissions

harrybacker
08-27-2001, 04:17 PM
I have a system that is v6.0 of Complete. We upgraded to that version recently. Sorry we are so behind. : (

It is a network install and the server is NT 4.0 SP6a and the everyone group has full control to the directory and all files under the Peachtree directory.

The error happens when you run Peachtree and it is Updating the Sortjob.dat file to v6.0. The error:

"The network is not giving you permission to use file X:\...\Peachtree\sortjob.dat"

You click OK and it says "Error 94 saving sortjob record."

Like I said, we have loosened the security to allow Everyone to have full control in that Peachtree directory but to no avail. The weird part is that it fails at 4% and then it fails the next time @ 84% or maybe it is 19%. It is never in the same spot twice and the File auditing shows that the user ID is accessing that file OK and the system is giving it write permission to that file. I can create a file from scratch in that directory and can delete files from there. Delete files which I do everytime it fails I remove all the .LCK files that it creates in there.

Any thoughts?

Diane Koers
08-27-2001, 10:21 PM
Try deleting the sortjob.dat from your company folder. PT will recreate it. See if that makes a difference.

FWIW - Because there were so many problems with sortjob, the newer versions (8 and 9) don't even use it anymore.

harrybacker
08-28-2001, 07:59 AM
I'm sorry. I thought that it was apparent from the above post that we are already at that state. We have deleted the sortjob.dat file and are now trying to get past the re-creation stage of loading the program when we get all of the above info and errors.

Additional info **
We also have now tried logging into the workstation as the network administrator and it still failed. So I am now thinking it is not a permission issue but rather a file being created in a directory that doesn't exist. Or looking for a directory that isn't there or trying to build a swap or temp file that is running out of space.

New thoughts?

harrybacker
08-28-2001, 08:20 AM
Additional info**

We also disabled the virus scanning software on the server and the workstation involved.

Just in case anyone was thinking that... : )

MAJOR UPDATE***
We have determined that the Virus scanner on the server was causing the problem. We also are now suspecting that the server virus scanner (InoculateIT v6) has also been causing our other Peachtree problems.

Does anyone know if later versions (8, 9) have the same problem with the data on the network and a virus scanner installed?

We obviously have to have the virus protection on the network so we cannot continue this way. So any help on what we should do next is extremely important.

Thanks.