PDA

View Full Version : Convert to Quickbooks?

joelsol
10-24-2002, 07:05 PM
We have used Peachtree Complete/Classic for 15 or so years. Just "upgraded" to version 13. It has been terrible to work with. Having lots of problems with our dot matrix printer. Support says that they are aware of printer problems - even admit that the majority of calls pertain to this issue. What a wonderful upgrade! (Only reason we chose to upgrade was that they won't support it after the support contract expires - so they got you by the (fill in blank).)

We are seriously considering scrapping Peachtree and going to Quickbooks. Not looking forward to actually doing it. Does anyone know of any easy way to convert? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

chrismc
10-24-2002, 07:52 PM
We've been on V13 for a few months now and have had it with Peacthree as well. They've got want they want (your money) and don't care about any problems you are having; or at least that's the impression I have. V13 is half baked at best and you're beta testing it for them (while trying to run your business). We have found nothing benneficial in the upgrade and in fact, it broke alot of things that worked previously.

We decided against QuickBooks. Instead we are looking at GreatPlains Small Business Manager. Some of the things we like is that it is based on MSDE (Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine) or SQL server, so the possibilities are quite endless. Any 'real' database today is/should be based on SQL. I can't stand the ancient database technology that Peachtree STILL uses. It's more expensive than the QuickBooks solution (around $1000) but has a direct upgrade path from Peachtree. It also has a direct upgrade path to their larger scale accounting applications. Some of the limitations that you may want to consider is the 100 employee limit and only 5 concurrent users (I'm quite sure this is a limitation of MSDE, not the applicaiton). You can also run it on a full SQL server. This is the route we're pursuing considering we already have an SBS 2000 server which includes SQL 2000.

Here's a link to the pricing info and the FAQ's.

Pricing: http://www.greatplains.com/solutions/document.asp?Type=Product&Category=Small%20Business%20Manager&TermValue=Small%20Business%20Manager&Link=solution/smallbusinessmanager_pricing.htm

FAQs: http://www.greatplains.com/solutions/document.asp?Type=Product&TermValue=Small%20Business%20Manager&Link=solution/small_business_manager_top_questions.htm&TemplateName=INITIALLEADQUAL&Category=Small%20Business%20Manager

It's more expensive, but when I figure the amount of time I've spent troubleshooting Peachtree it would have been much more cost effective to have skipped the Peachtree upgrade all together. Unfortunately, my customer didn't believe me - but he does now!

Chris

dringstrom
10-24-2002, 08:51 PM
There's not an automated mechanism to convert from Peachtree for DOS to QuickBooks, but here's what I've done in the past for clients:

- Peachtree offers a free utility for converting from Peachtree DOS to Peachtree Windows. Use this to extract your information into text files that you can open with Excel.

- You can then use an Excel-based QuickBooks IIF file generator (http://www.acctadv.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AA&Product_Code=QB-TIFC) to convert your data into the import format for QuickBooks.

- An alternative is to outsource the project.