PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Network Problem

Unregistered
09-04-2001, 11:14 AM
We were on a peer to peer network using Peachtree Accounting on Windows 95. All files are on a single computer (our server) and are accessed by the workstations. We recently bought a new server with Windows 98.

We hooked it up to our network and transferred C:/PCA from the old to new network. We then got rid of the old network and remapped all the workstations to the new network.

Now, when a workstation tries to enter Peachtree, it will get to the main menu, but whenever it tries to get farther, (like entering Accounts Payable or Receivable), we get an error message: "Invalid Path or Directory."

We restarted to see if that would help, and now a workstation can't even get to the main menu. It gets an error 75 with a red screen. The new server can access peachtree with no problems. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks.

Diane Koers
09-04-2001, 11:18 AM
Did you map them to the same locations as the previous server? If not, you can change the datapath on each workstation.

From the workstation: Click on Start, Run, then in the Run box type C:\PCA\UTILBA (assuming the PT program path is PCA). In Utilba, you can change data path locations.

Unregistered
09-04-2001, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. We mapped the workstations to the new server using a different name but changed the shortcut to reflect the change.

I went to a workstation like you said, but the workstations do not contain a PCA folder. Should I make the changes from my server or do I have to install PCA files on the workstations? They weren't installed before and they worked fine.

Also, the command line reads as C:\PCA\NETPEACH.EXE on the server. I looked at the old server and old workstations and they had C:\PCA\PEACH.BAT and C:\PCA\PCA.BAT as the command lines. Do you know which is the correct command line? Thanks.

Diane Koers
09-04-2001, 04:27 PM
Even though it can work without installing on each workstation, I HIGHLY recommend installing the program on each PC. It's faster and you'll bump heads with each other much less often. Also, special configuration files are then installed in the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS to make PT work better.

PCA, PEACH and NETPEACH are all essentially the same, but I recommend you use the NETPEACH command.

Unregistered
09-05-2001, 09:09 AM
The reason I didn't install peachtree on every machine is because they have very limited hard drive space and peachtree would take about all of it up. However, I will have to install peachtree if that is the only solution.

Is there any other solution that I could try first? I still can't get past error 75 and don't know what the cause is. Thanks.

Diane Koers
09-05-2001, 07:13 PM
Error 75 is related to the PCADATA command in the autoexec.bat.

This is from the PT web site:

PCADATA is an environmental variable in DOS that Peachtree Version 9 and higher uses in order to use Program files installed locally and access the Peachtree SYSTEM files that are located on a file server.

When the PCADATA variable is present, Peachtree will look for the SYSTEM Files in the directory indicated. It will ignore the System data files that are located in the current Program directory. The current program directory is displayed in Peachtree on the screen where you enter your 2 digit company ID.

In this document, SYSTEM files refer to the following Peachtree files:

COMP.?@@ - Company Data and Key Files
COMPBAC.* - Company Backup Data Files
PRINTER.?@@ - System Printers Data and Key Files
SYSCOMP.?@@ - Selected Printers Data and Key Files
TERMID.?@@ - Configuration ID Data and Key Files
MODPTR.?@@ - Module Printer Data and Key Files
COLOR.RTM - Color Configuration File

And in some Cases

PRTAX7.DAT - Default Payroll Tax File
FATAX.DAT - Default Fixed Assets Tax File
UT*.$%0 - Utilities Disk File Reports
ADDONS.DAT - Add-on Definition File
SUPPCOMP.DAT - Add-on Supplemental Company File
IMPORT.PAR - Add-on Import Parameter File
UT*.$* - Utility Disk File Reports
FAAUTO.DAT - Fixed Assets Luxury Auto Limitations
FAACRS.DAT - Fixed Assets ACRS Percentage Tables

Recommended Procedure for the Activation of PCADATA on Workstations

Important: If you are using a Peer to Peer network, do not use the PCADATA variable on the server. Since the desired system files are located on this computer, Peachtree will access them without the variable being set. If PCADATA is set on your server, remove the 'SET PCADATA' statement from the Server's AUTOEXEC.BAT file and reboot.

Follow these Steps on the Workstation.

This procedure assumes that there are no Peachtree program files on the workstation before loading. If there are, then you may want to delete the program files before continuing. Make sure that this is not the server and that you do have program files and data on the server.

1. Make sure that The PCADATA Variable is not present On the Workstation.

To verify this step, type 'SET' from a DOS prompt. If PCADATA is present, disable PCADATA by typing 'SET PCADATA=' from a DOS prompt and press ENTER.

2. Make Sure That You Can Run PCA From Your Network Directory.

An example of a network prompt would be F:\PCA. You should be able to type `PEACH' or `PCA' from the network Peachtree prompt to use Peachtree and access your data. If you are not able to run PCA directly from your network prompt, reconfigure your network or determine the correct network directory so that you can.

3. PTLOAD the Programs onto the Workstation.

When it asks if there is another version of Peachtree loaded, say 'N'.

Note: Be sure to load the PCA Sample Data. Loading the sample data will allow you to Share the system data files without adding a company after installation.

4. Add PCADATA To Your Workstation.

PCADATA can be added to a workstation in two ways.

Option A. After loading Peachtree onto a workstation, select share system data files from the Utilities System Information Menu. When prompted, enter the correct network directory for your Peachtree program files. Peachtree will make the needed Set command in the AUTOEXEC.BAT for you.

Option B. Edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file and add the SET PCADATA=F:\PCA command. In this case, F:\PCA is an example of the network directory where the Peachtree program files are loaded.

5. The Computer Must Be Rebooted For The Change To Take Effect.

To verify this addition, after rebooting type 'SET' from a DOS prompt. PCADATA=F:\PCA (or your network directory) should be in the list.

6. Verify That Peachtree is using the Network Data File Locations.

Start Peachtree by typing Peach or PCA from the C:\PCA> prompt and press ENTER.

Since it should be reading your network system information, your company should exist, enter your 2 digit company ID to enter your company.

Select Utilities - Maintain Company Information - Display Company/Module Information. Your company information should display without error.

At this point you are finished and should notice an overall increase in performance.

Note: If you are having a problem running Peachtree, you may need to disable PCADATA and follow the instructions again.

Instructions for Disabling PCADATA

Edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file

In order to disable the PCADATA feature on a workstation, you will need to edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file in the C:\ directory.

Remark or remove the SET PCADATA statement.

Save the changes to the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

Restart your computer.

Note: For Windows 3.1x, Windows 95, Windows 98 and NT, be sure to exit all applications.

To verify this deletion, after rebooting type `SET' from a DOS prompt.
PCADATA should not appear in the list.

The Feature is now Disabled.

Special Instructions When Using PCADATA

Do not Share System Files on the computer that actually has the Peachtree System files on it. (Usually the Server)

Do not add a SET PCADATA=dir command to the AUTOEXEC.BAT file of a Server that has the Peachtree System Files on it.

Do not PTLOAD if PCADATA is in the environment of the computer you are loading from, even if you are loading Peachtree onto a server. Disable PCADATA before PTLOADing by typing 'SET PCADATA=' from a DOS prompt. Then PTLOAD the Peachtree Program.

Due to the variety of networks and ways that you can map drives with those networks, in some cases you may not need a \ on the Program directory path on the PCADATA command.

For example if your Program directory is F:\PCA, you may need

SET PCADATA=F:\PCA\ or SET PCADATA=F:\PCA
Possible Error Messages While Running Peachtree

A user may receive these errors when PCADATA is set incorrectly. In each case, the solution is to correct or remove the PCADATA variable.

System Error 75 Starting Peachtree

IF Peachtree does not accept the desired Program Directory during PTLOAD, remove the PCADATA variable. For example, the user may enter C:\PCA for the Peachtree Program directory. After proceeding further in the installation, Peachtree will bring the user back to the Program Directory Path prompt.

After what Appears to be a successful PTLOAD, you now receive a system file error such as one of the errors above. This indicates that PCA was loaded with PCADATA set. Restore a backup of System Files or Follow the Instructions for Reloading Peachtree While Keeping Company Information in the Installation and Reference Guide page 17-4.

dole
10-29-2001, 03:22 AM
no doubt you got help by now, what I do is right click on my computer, pick map network drive pick the drive and note in next box paths. i always have this problem when I dial in to server.

Diane Koers
10-29-2001, 05:33 PM
By the way - this thread really should be in the Peachtree Classic forum, even if it's not Classic because it's still the DOS program.

Shannon - what do you think? Can it be moved? Might be better assistance available in there?

Shannon Tucker
10-30-2001, 08:23 AM
Good idea...done!