PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000

aisinc
09-04-2001, 12:28 PM
I'm using Peachtree Complete 5.0 for invoicing. I know this is an extremely old version but that's going to have to do for now. I can't run Peachtree from any Windows 2000 computer. I'm running a standalone version. The error I'm getting is "Error Encountered While Seeking System Information"; the program will take me to the startup screen where you choose the company id but it will tell me that the company does not exist and asks me if I want to create a new company.

Any help?

jag
09-04-2001, 09:32 PM
I had similar problems with Peachtree Classic in Windows 2000 enviroments. The problem is that Win2K has some features (HAL) that are incompatible with Peachtree.

I have managed to use Peachtree Classic on a Win2k machine but it runs slow.... very very slow (I wouldn't recomend it).

The solution for me was to tell Win2k that it has to run Peachtree in Windows 98 emulation mode and in a separated memory space area.

If you are unsure how to do this, contact me.

Javier Gomez
javier_gomez@engineer.com
San Juan, Puerto Rico

jag
09-05-2001, 10:13 PM
Windows 2000 comes with a utility that can trick many applications into believe they are running on an Operating System other than Windows 2000. Although not perfect, this utility can help you to install/run many applications under Windows 2000. Take the following steps to use the Windows 2000 Application Compatibility utility.

1- Insert your Windows 2000 CD. Open the Support folder on the CD.

2- Double click the APCOMPAT.EXE file. This will load the Application Compatibility utility.

3- In the Start the following program tab enter the location of the setup/executable file you wish to run, e.g. C:\PCA\NetPeach.exe.

4- Select the Operating System you need to use, e.g. Windows 98.

5- Click Ok to run the program.

If you have Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2 installed Microsoft have added a more convenient to use application compatibility mode. Although this isn't enabled by default. To enable the use of this feature click on Start then Run. Type in the following
Command: regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll
& hit Enter. Click Ok when prompted that this succeeded.

To use this feature you must have a Shortcut to launch the particular Application (Obviously you shouldn't use this feature unless you have problems with the Application). Right click on this shortcut & select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab.

Select the Run in compatibility mode setting & select an Operating System from the drop-down menu. Select Ok after you have made your selection.

Should you need to disable this feature then simply UnSelect Run in compatibility mode & hit Ok, or if you wish to uninstall this feature altogether (It can still be added again later using the command mentioned earlier) then click on Start, Run, type in: regsvr32 /u %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll & hit Enter

To run each program in a separate memory space-

ONLY DO THIS AS A LAST RESORT...remember that this applies to all DOS an Win 16bit programs

Only experienced users with knowledge with the registry should do this. And always remember to backup that registry key before you go on.

Create\Change this key with REGEDIT.EXE:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WOW\
"DefaultSeparateVDM"="yes"