PDA

View Full Version : Version 11 help needed - new PC restore

sel1005
11-17-2002, 08:49 PM
Would appreciate any help on getting version 11 restored to new PC; relative has run it for years, but their Pentium 1 PC crashed. They have it still running on 386 box, have original disks, no manuals. I loaded the original software on an old Pentium 2 box I had, but cannot get their old file backups off the 386 to load on the newer P3. Software will load, but none of their data will take.

Have spent hours but can't get their backups to restore, and they won't upgrade to a newer version, know the old one, that's it.

Specific questions;

1. is there a way to extract both company data and customer data
off their old files and move it to the newer faster PC?
2. when you run the ptrest commands, creates PCIII directories
under DOS with data, but software doesn't recognize them. Is
this the right approach or another one?
3. are there data files you can copy to directories under pca that
will make this work?

THANKS in advance for the help!!!

chrismc
11-19-2002, 09:52 AM
Have you tried simply copying the PCA directory to the new machine instead of messing with the ptrest? To make it easy on you, I'd do the following:
1. Uninstall PT on the new machine so we can get a clean start
2. Re-install PT on the new machine (this should add the necessary changes to config.xxx and autoexec.xxx) in the same directory path as exists on the old computer.
3. Rename the PCA directory (PCA_Old or something) on the new machine. You can delete this directory once the restore works.
4. Copy the PCA directory from the old computer to the new one, placing it in the same directory as the PCA_Old that you renamed in #3.
5. You should be done.

If getting the data off the 386 is an issue, thus using the PT backup to get the data on floppies, you may be able to remove the hard drive from the old machine, change it's jumper to be a slave, and add it into the new machine. Then you can copy the PCA directory from one disk to the other. You could also use a network if one were available to copy the directory, or even piece meal it onto mutiple floppies (depending on how big it is). That's the cool thing (if there is one) about DOS apps.. everything is in one place.

chrismc
11-19-2002, 10:16 AM
Forgot to mention.. you'll have to setup your printers in PT again unless they are using the same printer, on the same port, on the new machine.

Chris

chikamic
11-19-2002, 01:21 PM
sel1005,

I have a document that instructs how to move Peachtree to a new computer, if you email me I will send it to you.

sel1005
11-20-2002, 11:40 PM
Thanks very much for the info, I will try this weekend and let you know how it goes!