PDA

View Full Version : VDM in ipx/spx

turfline
09-05-2001, 11:42 AM
We had our system go down last week while I was entering an invoice. When I tried to restore our backups (either one from WIN 98 and WIN 2000) I got a 'CANNOT LOAD VDM SUPPORT IN IPS/SPX', consequently, I could not restore my backups either through windows 2000, nor through the cmd prompt. MAJOR BUMMER.
Any ideas what is causing this silly error. I am VERY worried about not being about to restore from a backup. Peachtree is claiming it is a Windows issue, of course, Windows is blaming Peachtree.
We are running a small 3 client workgroup under Windows 2000 Professional.

Let me know.
Thanks.

jag
09-05-2001, 10:21 PM
Where exactly are u getting that error ??

IMHO:

If you are using Windows 2000 computers... why are you using a Novell protocol (altrought is not incorrect to do so).

I think that you may have to check you network settings and only use TCP/IP protocol... in fact there is no apparent good reason to use anything else.

turfline
09-06-2001, 07:50 AM
I was using NetBEUI because that is what I was instructed to do when we had this networked via WIN98-per the "support" staff at Peachtree itself. There isn't anywhere I have been able to locate to give me information on the correct protocol underwhich to set this up...NetBEUI worked fine under WIN98, we are a small (3) peer workgroup...no internet connect...so I thought it would also work under WIN2000. It would have been REALLY nice had Peachtree let the public know they had changed their protocol preferences.
Thanks for the advise. I will switch the protocol to TCP/IP and hopefully move forth.
Valerie

Unregistered
09-06-2001, 11:25 AM
Probably Peachtree told you to switch to NetBEUI because this is a No-Brainer protocol. That means that there are no so many settings that can make things go wrong.

Windows 2000 is based primary in TCP/IP (in fact... if you ever use Win2k Server you can't use Active Directory without TCP/IP).

Remember to delete other protocols that are not in use (this increases speed and reliability). If you are not a Network Guru you can always download or ask somebody to make you a home networking wizard disk (I think Windows 2k comes with it) and run all the settings with it.

Please post any results that you get.

Hope It helps,

Javier Gomez
javier_gomez@engineer.com
San Juan, Puerto Rico

jag
09-06-2001, 11:27 AM
Probably Peachtree told you to switch to NetBEUI because this is a No-Brainer protocol. That means that there are no so many settings that can make things go wrong.

Windows 2000 is based primary in TCP/IP (in fact... if you ever use Win2k Server you can't use Active Directory without TCP/IP).

Remember to delete other protocols that are not in use (this increases speed and reliability). If you are not a Network Guru you can always download or ask somebody to make you a home networking wizard disk (I think Windows 2k comes with it) and run all the settings with it.

Please post any results that you get.

Hope It helps,

Javier Gomez
javier_gomez@engineer.com
San Juan, Puerto Rico

CLiffC
09-07-2001, 11:25 AM
I agree with Jag........Flush Netbui and use TCP/IP. It is not difficult to set up and the Peachtree software should not care which network protocol is used since it is a peer to peer network.

Cliff