PDA

View Full Version : Classic Accounting 13 - Database Access

shiptec
11-21-2002, 08:02 AM
Does anyone now 1st what the underlying database is (btrieve)? And 2nd is there a way to access the data like with PAWCOM for the Windows version of Peachtree?

chikamic
11-21-2002, 08:24 AM
Honestly, the structure is so new I have not have time to explore those issues yet. I will try to do a little research and see if I can find that out. That is a very good question.

YoungBCS
03-12-2003, 11:26 PM
FairCom CTree. There is an ODBC driver available from FairCom. Be aware that only those files that include meta data (Data Definitions) will be able to be read by the driver. FairCom has a utility called CTInfo that will show whether the file can be read or not.

jag
03-13-2003, 07:28 PM
I don't think Peachtree has DDEs for Classic... Nor they prepared the btrieve stucture to be read by others. But, please if you find out how... let me know, since I would be really interested on this.

WHK
04-19-2003, 11:10 AM
YoungBCS,
Do you know if the CTinfo is available without getting the whole development kit? Especially since V13 PCA is based on V6.1 and they are currently at V7.11. Would be nice if one could look at the data files with the correct data interpretation. Notepad just doesn't cut it. Borland database engine 10 yrs ago had better tools than C tree plus today. I spoke to Faircom and they are thinking about it, although they never mentioned CTinfo when I asked for tools to deal with the database. V13 has the meta data in the data files accounting for much of the file size increase over V12.

YoungBCS
04-22-2003, 12:28 AM
CTInfo is available at the following link. Faircom recommends you download and run it against your files. It will tell you whether or not the ODBC driver can read the files. Most but not all of the V13 files contain record structure information.

http://www.faircom.com/download/ctinfo.zip

The Faircom ODBC driver reads the files without any problems. The dictionary build mechanism used is difficult to use when you are attempting to base it on the Generation Number modified file names for Peachtree. I am still working to understand it.

chikamic
04-22-2003, 11:25 AM
YoungBCS,

Let me know if you are able to make heads or tails of it. I looked at it for a while but basically gave up.

Michelle

WHK
04-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Hi YoungBCS,

WHK
04-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Hi YoungBCS

Thank You for the info that Faircom seems to hide fairly well. The NG SW seems to have problems as well (space key sent posts?) The ODBC driver seems like it may work at $99 if it reads files marked corrupt by Ctree (no clue in the docs). The data corruption I see is usually from files never closed ( NT4.0 Server file status) and are therefore automatically marked corrupt by Ctree (open file marks files corrupt until properly closed as a safety mechanism). What PCA SW does with this info is unknown (not seen at the user level). Rebuild should be able to deal with it in a reasonable way such as BDE did and create a bad data file that can be edited and recombined with the database. Alas PCA rebuild only gives a cryptic error message and quits. The more usefull function for the ODBC driver is conversion to another DB.