PDA

View Full Version : Error 57 in PCA DOS v11 when printing reports

prawla
12-06-2002, 09:17 AM
I posted previously for an error 53, however, when i went on the customer site the actual error was error 57 when trying to print reports in peachtree dos v11.

can anyone assist with this error message.

also.....

(1) this same customer wants to upgrade to peachtree classic accounting, are there any issues with converting that i should know about?

(2) the reason the customer is still using peachtree dos 11 is for it's report printing functions which she finds to be better than the windows versions. does classic accounting assist her with this? i've printed out the product specs for her already, but a confirmation would help.

once again, thank you for your help.

chikamic
12-06-2002, 02:54 PM
PCA 13 is exactly the same as PCA 11 with the exception that it now lives in windows rather than DOS. She will find that reports look exactly the same. BUT, there are some printing issues if your customer is using dot matrix printers.

Looks like the PRINTER.D@@ file is corrupt. Best way to fix is to reinstall the program files. Follow instructions below to reload PCA 11.

If you use PDQ and have custom procedures you must first Export these procedures. Refer to the PDQ Documentation for further explanation of this procedure. If you do not have any customer PDQ procedures or you are not using PDQ Please skip this step.

Type the following commands followed by the ENTER key.
STEP 1) CD \PCA (Where C:\PCA is your Peachtree Program Directory )
STEP 2) ATTRIB -R *.*
STEP 3) ATTRIB +R COMP*.*
STEP 4) ATTRIB COMP.*
(At this point make sure that the COMP.D@@ and COMP.K@@ files are listed and they should an `R' in front of them. If you do not have these files then you may not be in the correct program directory or the files may be missing.)
STEP 5) DEL *.*
STEP 6) ATTRIB -R *.*

Reload the Peachtree Software into the C:\PCA (Where C:\PCA is your Peachtree Program Directory)

prawla
12-10-2002, 10:50 AM
Thank you chikamik for the reply. I've never installed or supported the Dos version of Peachtree, but I will try these steps.

Thank you.

swilliams
12-18-2002, 11:39 AM
what is the os? windows 95/98?

prawla
12-23-2002, 08:26 AM
swilliams, the o/s is windows 98SE.

swilliams
12-23-2002, 08:33 AM
generally this is going to be a spooling issue. start-- settings--printers---right click on the printer---properties-----details---port settings, and make sure the spool ms-dos print jobs is not checked

prawla
12-23-2002, 09:20 AM
Thank you swilliams, I'll try this and let you know if it corrected the problem.

prawla
01-10-2003, 10:27 AM
i mistakenly posted a follow up to this post with this subject heading: error 53 file not found when printing, so check that out. i forgot to put the information below in the post.

the environment is:
Win2kPro server
8 workstations all downgraded to win98se
mostly dos based financial programs
users are mapped to server for access to the dos programs
no data on local PCs

the office is basically using obsolete or unsupported software. they are hesitant to change or upgrade anything because of end user ignorance or difficulty in finding windows based programs that give the type reports they need.

also, the user with the error has access to another networked printer an IBM 17 that functions properly. but it is not a dot matrix printer and this is what the user needs for her reports.

cheers