PDA

View Full Version : Customizing Data Fields And Reports

LHEIS
09-09-2001, 09:11 AM
WE JUST PURCHASED PEACHTREE COMPLET ACCTG AND WE COPIED THE DEFAULTS OF TH SAMPLE COMPANY THAT HAS THE SAME BUSINESS WITH US. OUR PROBLEM NOW IS, WE CANNOT CUSTOMIZE THE REPORTS SO THAT IT CAN FIT OUR COMPANY DATA. WE CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO ADD FIELDS LIKE "SALES RETURNS, STOCK TRANSFER, DISCOUNTS AND HOW TO CHANGE THE FORMULAS FOR CERTAIN FIELS LIKE THE NET AMOUNT (WHERE DISCOUNT WILL BE SHOWN AND DEDUCTED FROM THE TOTAL AMOUNT. WE HAVE TRIED CREATING SOME FIELDS BUT IT DOESNT WORK. OUR PEACHTREE ACCTG PACKAGE IS FOR MULTI USER BUT CRYSTAL REPORT FRO PEACHTREE IS NOT INCLUDED. DOES THIS MEAN THAT WE CANNOT ALTER AND ADD SOME OF THE DEFAULT FIELDS UNLESS WE PURCHASE CRYSTAL REPORT PROGRAM. PLS. HELP WE ARE FIRST TIME USERS OF THIS SOFTWARE.

westphal
09-10-2001, 02:03 PM
I'm no expert, but I believe you are going to be limited to the fields shown in the report design area. You can only change discount percentages in the customer defaults. You have to purchase Crystal Reports separately, but I wouldn't bother, it's just about impossible to extract the Peachtree data unless you have a lot of programming experience.

Markcus
09-11-2001, 05:07 AM
Yes, as far as I know the only custom fields that you may change are the 5 in the customer master file (other than the ones in inventory etc). They are all alpha fields and I believe they are 40 bytes in length each. You can input numbers into these fields and then do calculations on these numbers but since they are alpha entries you must first convert the date in the custom fields to numeric and then you can perform calculations. I have designated one of those custom fields to customer discount because we have changed our customer discount structure and want to show the discount in the line items extension of each invoice rather than at the end of the invoice. In order to keep track of the customer discounts I have designated on field to CUSTOMER DISCOUNT PERCENT and then when I create Crystal reports and list the discounts I have them. If i were to leave them in the price level etc it would apply the discount twice to the invoice.

LHEIS - as westphal said, if you don't have progamming experience using Crystal Report writer will not be easy for you to do. It is by far a great tool to have and use if you have a complete understanding of Peachtree's database. I have been able to create some real nice reports for container ship tracking for our ocean freight and handle 3 different types of inventory in two physical different locations but it took a lot of manipulating and twisting to do so. But I still can't create a simple stupid little report that reports the inventory on hand for each item. Still working on that. This information can not be extracted from a particular field but instead must be calculated by all of the transactions in the jornalrow data file. You have to include your beginning balance, receiving of purchase orders, out going shipments to customers, inventory adjustments you may have on the item and a few other things. It is certainly no walk in thepark. I have used much better databases in the past like Macola which gives precise distinct files for each process whereaas Peachtree jams every single transactions from A/P, to A/R, to Sales Orders, to Payroll into one file which makes it so difficult to assertain and interpret each and every record of the file before you use that record in your report. It also causes so much more work in the SELECT section of the report.

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY - Oh there is, buy better software.