PDA

View Full Version : Reports Future years Budget

bigbird
08-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Peachtree Premium has fields for revised last year budget, revised this year budget, and budgets for year 1 (current year) and budget for year 2 and budget for year 3.

However, in the Financial Report writer, i don't see any way to use the data in budget for year 2 and 3 in a report.

Possibly you could use Current +1 to 12 for year 2, but not for year 3, because it only goes to current plus 12, not to 24 like it does going backwards.

Does anyone know how one would use those furure budgets in a report? It would br a great way to do a forecast on the account level, but it isn't much good if you cant write a report that uses it. (Nor is that 3rd year much good for anything if it cant be reported on.)

Anyone have any ideas?

chikamic
08-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Since this is a new feature, you might have a problem getting input here. If I were you, I would use my free phone call to the Peach and clarify the use of this new feature.

Michelle

bigbird
08-27-2003, 04:53 PM
Yes, I suppose you're right. There is always that chance, so I try to cover all bases.

I can remember when Peachtree had a free for all users forum on Compuserve where users could pose almost any question and get an answer for free from Peachtree staffers, some of which were very creative in getting things to work, when the Windows product was less than reliable.

Those were the good old days!

Neil B, Goodwill of So. Nevada

chikamic
08-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Yes, I used to work for Peachtree as a DOS tech and then again as a tech on the Support Center queue (supporting both Windows and DOS) when ADP bought the company. It was at that point that support became a cost center.

In the old days getting you guys up and running and preserving the good name of the product was paramount. BUT that was before the big guys bought the Peach up. It seems to me that Best could care less about Peactree customers, after all you guys are not generating the revenue that BusinessWorks and MAS are.

Just a thought.....

Michelle

bigbird
08-28-2003, 11:21 AM
I have heard speculation from more than one person in the business that Best is trying to get rid of Peachtree. It would make sense, because then more small companies would be forced to by their higher priced entry level products.

That would be too bad, because Peachtree was always the alternative that worked in a way a bookkeeper that knows double entry accounting could relate to easily. Quickbooks is built for non accountants and drives a "real" bookkeeper nuts!

It might be the only "big company" entry level product in that price range left pretty soon, though.

Actually, My company has grown to the point to where we are seriously considering going to a true multi user, modular accounting system. The one data base concept of Peachtree for windows is its one big weakness, but it enabled them to do multi-modular drill down long before some of the pricey accounting systems could do that. Some of them STILL can't!

Maybe some of you ex-pats will get together and do another entry level product to take Peachtree's place. That's the way free enterprize works.

I spent years in the banking business when all of the big boys were buying up the little banks.

Then, lo & behold, along comes a bunch of start-up banks that fill nitches that were thrown away by the big boys in their drive to maximize profit and throw away the customers that they didn't really want to serve from those little banks Some of those little banks have grown into significant local and regional banks in their own right.

I'm really off the subject of making Peachtree work, so i'll get off my soapbox and back to work.

Thanks for the feedback!

Neil "Bigbird" Braun
Goodwill of Southern Nevada

Robert Walraven
08-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Actually it is the other way around with Best. Sage, which owns Best, bought Peachtree so they would have a base of small companies that they could talk into to Mas90 as they outgrew Peachtree.

bigbird
08-28-2003, 10:52 PM
The problem with that theory is, that there is too big a price discrepancy between Peachtree and MAS 90.

I recently talked to a MAS 90 marketer, and s/he said if you arn't prepared to spend 10 grand, forget it.

I know that for a while, they had a special version of MAS 90 that was just for Peachtree upgraders, that cost around 4 grand.

I suspect that it was just a markting gimmick, but I don't think they are doing that any more.

The only product around that makes sense as a next step after Peachtree is Businessworks. I'n not sure who owns that now, maybe the same company. I've lost track It use to be a pretty good product when it was Manzanita Software, but I think that organization was stipped down too.

I'm not sure where I'll go next at this point

chikamic
08-29-2003, 09:38 AM
Sage IS Best in the US, (as a result of a court struggle with a company with the same name) http://www.bizforms.com/hotnews.htm

I am sure that the true strategy will bear itself out soon. We will know if Best has long term plans for the Peach if they get this switch to Pervasive SQL done anytime soon.

Michelle

TheWolf
09-22-2003, 07:38 AM
Robert actually has the right off it. Peachtree is a feeder base for companies that first start with Peachtree and then grow so quickly they need a larger package. The price difference is great but between MAS90 and Peachtree there is also Business Works. Why would Best get rid of Peachtree when so many leads for MAS90 are generated through Peachtree customers. Get rid of it and you may force some to upgrade now but if you keep it around you can gain leads over the long term that would exceed the short term of getting rid of Peachtree.

Tom Sechler
www.Software-Link.com

TheWolf
09-22-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by chikamic
Yes, I used to work for Peachtree as a DOS tech and then again as a tech on the Support Center queue (supporting both Windows and DOS) when ADP bought the company. It was at that point that support became a cost center.

In the old days getting you guys up and running and preserving the good name of the product was paramount. BUT that was before the big guys bought the Peach up. It seems to me that Best could care less about Peactree customers, after all you guys are not generating the revenue that BusinessWorks and MAS are.

Just a thought.....

Michelle

They could still offer free support if customers were willing to pay twice to three times the price. Breaking the support options into seperate areas allows them to sell at a competitive price, allows advanced users to get just the product without paying a hidden cost of support and those BusinessWorks and MAS customers all had to start out small to begin with.

Tom Sechler
www.Software-Link.com

chikamic
09-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Tom,

I most certainly do not need a business lesson since I have an MBA. What you must understand is that there are users around that are used to a different kind of support than they get from Best.

The support costs are only higher due to the size of the corporation. The cost of the DOS product did not change for at least 6-8 years, free support and all. When Peachtree was a privately held company the overhead was lower, things were much different. You can dance around it all you want but there are times when Best does not do all it can to ensure that Peachtree customers are satisfied.

I have respect for your opinions and know that will be different from mine since you were formerly employed by Best and are now employed by a Best Platinum Partner, but those of us that have been around for a while and have no comany ties, view things a little differently. I expect the same level of respect, given that I was a part of a Peachtree culture that existed for many, many years. There are those of us that remember the day that the first windows version shipped. I do not try to invalidate your opinions since I know you are from a different era in Peachtree history, and again, I would hope that in the future I am given that same respect.

Michelle

TheWolf
09-22-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by chikamic
Tom,

I most certainly do not need a business lesson since I have an MBA. What you must understand is that there are users around that are used to a different kind of support than they get from Best.

The support costs are only higher due to the size of the corporation. The cost of the DOS product did not change for at least 6-8 years, free support and all. When Peachtree was a privately held company the overhead was lower, things were much different. You can dance around it all you want but there are times when Best does not do all it can to ensure that Peachtree customers are satisfied.

I have respect for your opinions and know that will be different from mine since you were formerly employed by Best and are now employed by a Best Platinum Partner, but those of us that have been around for a while and have no comany ties, view things a little differently. I expect the same level of respect, given that I was a part of a Peachtree culture that existed for many, many years. There are those of us that remember the day that the first windows version shipped. I do not try to invalidate your opinions since I know you are from a different era in Peachtree history, and again, I would hope that in the future I am given that same respect.

Michelle

Michelle,

What is your deal? I was not trying to "teach" you anything. No need to come off so defensive. I am not trying to disrespect you either. You really should relax.

I won't even try a rebutal for fear it might further upset you. If you think it would not upset you then point out where I was being disrespectful or offensive to anyone.

Tom Sechler
www.Software-Link.com

chikamic
09-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Tom,

My statements were not without thought (granted, I could have worded them better). I was simply stating that there are users out there that do not understand or care what the reasons are they just understan that they are not getting the support they need.

OK, you might have a point, I COULD have over reacted (would not be the first time). I'll try to take it down a thousand. It is just that there a couple of people that post here that are really nasty.

Please accept the apology, I will edit my post (oh, I guess not since you quoted it). I am a little on the defensive since an exchange with someone on the Accounting/Complete Accounting Forum.

Michelle