View Full Version : Request for Peachtree info

Cheng
09-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Hi,

Would appreciate if someone could let me know

1) volume of transactions that Peachtree Premium can handle

2) number of concurrent users that can be handled by Peachtree Premium

3) how stable is Peachtree

4) how easy is it to access the Peachtree's data from another application. What database does it use?

5) if it is easy to pass sales information from another application to Peachtree

Any information/advice given is much appreciated

Thanks.

Robert Walraven
09-20-2003, 12:35 PM
1) volume of transactions that Peachtree Premium can handle
There is no practical limit. However, performance will slow down, as with any software, if you have a large number of transactions. It is hard to quantify how much performance would degrade because that depends on the specific hardware you have, the kinds of transactions you have entered, and what you are doing in Peachtree.

2) number of concurrent users that can be handled by Peachtree Premium
I don't believe there is any physical limit. However, Peachtree does not recommend more than 5 concurrent users.

3) how stable is Peachtree?
There are two kinds of problems that can occur: bugs in Peachtree and data corruption not caused by Peachtree.

Regarding bugs Peachtree is pretty solid but not completely bugfree. (I don't know of any software that is completely bugfree.) You will see reports of problems in these forums but keep in mind that people almost always talking about problems and the vast majority of Peachtree users who never have a problem never post here.

Regarding corruption of data this is usually the result of either network problems or server problems. By the nature of what Peachtree Premium does it is more sensitive to these kinds of problems than more mundane applications. It is best to assume that any application that does heavy operations over a network will have its data corrupted by things beyond its control, so the best protection is to frequently back up your data.

4) how easy is it to access the Peachtree's data from another application. What database does it use?
The only mechanism that Peachtree provides for programmatic access to their data is an old DDE interface that is not complete. For complete programmable COM(Active-X) access to the Peachtree data you can use a third-party product called PawCom.

5) if it is easy to pass sales information from another application to Peachtree
Again PawCom is probably the easiest way to do this.

Bob Walraven
Architect of PawCom

SK Wong
09-28-2003, 09:42 AM
Dear Mr Cheng

Here is the second opinion that I may forward to you:-

For 1) I know someone use Peachtree to maintain 7,000 inventory items, it works OK but the speed is reduced slightly.
For 2) There is 5 concurrent users for multi-pack.
For 3) I have been using Peachtree 2002, 2003 and now 2004, I do not encounter any programmatic errors so far.
For 4) < No comments >
For 5) You may export/import Peachtree data using File-Export/import command, the file is in Excel .csv format.

Hope the above comment is useful to you.

Best regards
SK Wong
Sept 28 2003

RetroCanino
09-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Robert and SK are correct in there answers.

1) There are no hard coded limits for the number of maintance records or tranactions. But you can enter in a 2000 line sales invoice. you will have to make them smaller, which is not a big deal usually. As for performance with lots of data. You want a fast, stable network. Dont run 10mbps run 100 and if you can afford it run 1000. The computers need to be stable. if the computers are not stable who cares if they are fast. I would stay away form 9x boxes. use 2000 or xp pro. Lots and lots of ram will help make things faster. (I recommend to my clients to have at least 512mb) Also, you want to have fast hard drives. Peachtree does lots of read and writes to the hard drive, so the faster the drives the better. For processors, you want to have a cpu that has lots of on chip cache, which means I would not recommend the celeron.

2) Peachtree does suggest 5, but if you have high end computers and network you can add more.

3) Peachtree is pretty stable compared to a lot of programs that I deal with. If you have a stable computer and network they you should not have data corruption.

4 & 5) Peachtree uses a Btrieve database, which is "Pervasive" database. There are lots of apps out there will interface with peachtree. PawCom is a good one. (http://www.multiwareinc.com/) Also check out http://www.wizard-net.com/ I have used lots of there apps and they work well. Peachtree also some of there sister apps that interface with Peachtree. FAS, TimeSlips, ACT. Check out www.bestsoftware.com or www.peachtree.com for more info on them. Also, somethng worth noting is that Peachtree also allows Crystal reports to get information using the DDFs and you can use the import/ export and excell to get the data.