PDA

View Full Version : Very slow response

tomecole
10-21-2003, 02:01 PM
I have Peachtree Premium 2004 running on XP workstations and a W2K server, using 10/100 switches and good CAT5 wiring.
Recently Peachtree just SUDDENLY went to a crawl, a very slow crawl, when running Job Ledger jobs. A/R A/P and everything else seems normal.
I'll call up an account, the data will display on the screen very quickly, then an hourglass will pop up, and there I sit for 2,3,4, sometimes 5 minutes, then the hourglass will go away. If I attempt to move the curson during this time, a "phantom" white box will appear, covering much of the screen, but displaying no data. This is not coming from a background process, as I have checked. Nothing else is running at this time except the normal processes needed for Windows to operate.
Finally everything is finished, then I try to print the data. Again a wait of several minutes, just to print locally,data which seems to be already collected. It's driving me carzy. Peachtree tech support says I need to purge data, but this started suddenly, not gradually as I would expect if this were the cause.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

RetroCanino
10-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Have you run any integrity checks or Data verification?

TheWolf
10-23-2003, 06:10 AM
It could be some xp hotfixes causing it. Do a search in the complete forum for which ones to remove until Peachtree gets it fixed.

This could also be the active scan on the network or more than likely you have you AV software set to scan files upon opening and you need to exclude the Peachtree diretory.

tomecole
10-23-2003, 07:13 AM
To Retro Canino... Actually, I have run the data verification, but not the actual integrity checks where you reindex everything, but if that's the problem wouldn't that effect A/P, A/R, ect ? I am a Network Administrator, but certainally not an accounting or Peachtree expert. I will run the full checks this weekend. Thanks !

To: El Lobo... I did remove Q811493 and Q810577 because they causing PT to hang on closing. I was unaware that there were other issues, but it would make perfect sense. This problem occurred suddenly, like one day everything was OK and the next day we had the problem. If it were because we have too much data it would seem that the problem would slowly get worse over time. I have tried running Peachtree on a brand spankin' new unit, and it had the same problem. However, the PC's we buy locally actually come with many to the patches already installed.
I will also follow your advice, and maybe even strip a unit of all patches and see what happens. Thanks !

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help me out.

If anyone else has any ideas, I would still appreciate hearing from you too.

RetroCanino
10-23-2003, 09:35 PM
becareful reindexing. make sure to have a full back up fo the company first and verify data after.

The reindex can help performance, significantly.

It is possible that you have one transaction someplace that the system is having issues with when trying to pull info from the indexs, so the integs could help.

as a test you could try restoring a slightly older backup on a test machine and see if you have the same performances issues there.

Robert Walraven
10-31-2003, 10:53 PM
For some types of databases reindexing certainly can produce signficant improvements in performance, but I'm not convinced that reindexing Btrieve files, because of the way that the B-tree algorithm works, will have much effect on performance. Really all a reindex does in Peachtree is clone the Btrieve file design, read the records from the old file and write them to a new file.

Furthermore, reindexing a data file from the Integrity Check screen in Peachtree is a EXTREMELY dangerous operation. If the data file is physically damaged, reindexing will cause all records up to the point of the damage to be transferred and the remaining records to be ignored. In other words, you stand a chance of losing some of your data if you reindex.

RetroCanino
11-01-2003, 10:45 AM
When a Peachtree company gets big and slow any increase in speed can be Significant.

Robert, as I am sure you are aware. Conversion now reindexes the JrnlRow. I had been concerned about this because if the data is damaged it would be possible to have big issues. When I had a chance to talk to one of Peachtrees developers I asked about this. he said They found big increases in report speed when they reindexed at the end of coversion and there is enough of a performance gain for enough of the users that Peachtree included it by default, but you may not see it in all companies. He said that you could see a increase even in older versions as well. He even suggested that it would be a good idea to reindex Jrnlrow occassionaly to help maintain performance as companies get bigger.

Now of course if there is data damage then you run into other issues.......