PDA

View Full Version : W-2 in magnetic media to SSA

davidng
10-25-2003, 07:32 AM
Can somebody advise me how to print W-2 onto 3.5" diskette so that I can transmit W-2 at year-end to Social Security Administration per their requirements (over 250 employees --- mandatory). Or, transmit directly or electronically to SSA by other means? Where is the option in the menu? I'm a new user of 2004 Premium Account's version. Thanks.

David

joe_sixpack
10-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Peachtree doesnt have that option as it wasnt designed for NEAR that many employees. But there are many 3rd parties that provide an add-on for this.

RetroCanino
10-26-2003, 10:59 AM
You need to check out http://www.wizard-net.com/

they have it

davidng
10-26-2003, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your info.

I was surprised to see the 3rd party add-on costs over $350. I only have one client who is required to do filing by magnetic media.

I wish Peachtree can offer that option in the package --- even my old accounting software ACCPAC BPI can do that without much difficulty and I have been doing that for years.

David

Diane Koers
11-01-2003, 08:18 AM
I too have a client that needs to file magnetic media and they have two companies so it costs them about $800 each year just to file with the IRS.

I came across this link and it looks very promising. Says it will work with PT and the cost is $110. I'm going to check it out next week, but you might want to check into it also.

http://www.idmsinc.com/index.htm

davidng
11-07-2003, 09:45 PM
I walked thru the said website of idmsinc.com One of the reports claimed that Peachtree could export information to a comma separated text file. Using a FREE Import Mapping Utility for 2002 (provided at that site), user could map (whatever they mean) the text to one which Account Ability (which idmsinc.com sold) could import.

Since I'm not very knowledgeable about Peachtree's exporting ability and I have never used Peachtree to print W2 (I'm a new user), I have no idea or even any way to verify the claim.

It would be nice if somebody had some old data and could use them to test it out with SSA. If I remembered correctly, SSA allowed submission of data (in magnetic media) on a test basis ---SSA even recommended magnetic media filers to test out their communication channel and data format after password was obtained from them. I think the "key" was to change a certain date during "test" filing --- SSA will then confirm if transmission is O.K. for "real" filing.

I checked out every year with my magnetic media data. One year I had a problem simply because that I have "." or "." in the last name field of a few employees. The filing was rejected. I had to go back to my original employee data file and change them (after consulting with my software provider Computer Associates). Transmission was very good. I was using ACCPAC's BPI software. I just purchased Peachtree Accountant Edition and plan to use it in 2004. I'm concerned with its capability to handle magnetic media filing of W2 to SSA --- I knew my client would be outrageous if I told them the cost would be $350 plus simply for filing!!!!

Thanks.

David

Diane Koers
11-09-2003, 10:16 PM
David,

I purchased the Account Ability software for my client and I'm in the process of testing it with the 2002 version. It's not a completely seamless process, but the testing I've run so far hasn't been too bad if I use Excel as an intermediary program. I'll be testing more this week and can keep you updated.

Jim Dale
12-14-2003, 06:47 PM
David,

PT import/export uses csv same as that program. As I'm sure Diane will report, using the PT import/export is not bad, just requires some study time.

lustbergcpa
12-16-2003, 04:05 PM
What about the site associated with this forum ?

http://peachtreeusers.com/magw-2.htm

They claim the integration is seamless. It is under $400

Jim Dale
12-16-2003, 04:07 PM
wizard also has one in that price range. (PT center in NC) Have used it

vstevens83
03-05-2004, 07:28 PM
Check out www.granitesoftware.com They have a product called AllReports that will take you Peachtree data and create the file you need to file your W2's. They have a better product that Wizard and the cost is only $189 for as many company data files you want. Wizard will charge you per company.