PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Premium

Raymond
12-14-2003, 06:08 AM
I have bit the bullet and am upgrading to Premium Accounting. I am currently using accounting 5.0. Plan to make the switch the first of the year and would appreciate any input that would help smooth the transition.
My Journal.dat and sortjob.dat files have become very large (purging doesn't seem to purge much) so I am thinking of starting from scratch creating a new company. Any thoughts on the best way to accomplish this?
Thanks, Raymond

RetroCanino
12-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Raymond,

I have converted several paw 5 companies to premium with any issues.

You should give it a try, it will take a little while, because it has to step up the datebase changes.

One it is converted, you can purge if you want, it has been greatly enhanced in 2004. But wait to make sure that everything is converted correctly, which should always be verified right after conversion, before any new transactions are added.

If you have issues call Peachtree support. They will give you FREE help with upgrade issues. (no reason to pay for it) :-)

RetroCanino
12-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Jim, as a support center you should know what kind of support is offered, shouldnt you? Dont they tell you that kind of stuff?

I know they give free help if you are upgarding, because they want you to upgrade.

RetroCanino
12-14-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Jim Dale
I always understood that installation was free but not database issues. It sounds as if you are saying something different. It is true that I feel like our support center (and others) fill that gap. There were sometimes big problems going fronm 5 or 6 to 7. As far as I know none of those versions are supported by Peachtree. Do you work for a support center? Am I wrong?
I am a consultant that has done for work support centers, but have my own clients around the US that I support. My understanding is that Installation and Upgrading issues have always been FREE from Peachtree. I have always been given support when I have called for Install or Conversion/upgrade issues.

As for issues going to v7, dont really apply going to 2004.

Raymond
12-15-2003, 05:38 AM
I guess I'll dive in and see what happens.

Raymond

momofbrady
01-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Raymond,

Are you paying attention to the screen that asks you which records you wish to purge? Could you be purging the same year instead of what's most current?

If you really want to start from scratch, it's easy but if you have inventory, or use job costing, I wouldn't. If you are on an accrual basis, you will have some problems taking receipts from customers who you billed the prior month, there is an easy fix, but there are some considerations to starting from scratch. With these issues, it's not Peachtree who needs to help you, it's your accountant, unless you are one. If you have problems installing, they will help you for free.

Make sure all vendor/payroll and customer records that you no longer care to keep are inactive and export them. Ask your accountant to give you the je's to start or use your balance sheet for Dec 31st as the journal entries for the new setup. If you are on an accrual basis, you will need to make more Je's for the unpaid bills and unpaid billing that will also need to be imported.

Import your old Chart of accounts, then the vendors and customers followed by employees. There is more to import but I wanted to just give you a few thoughts to consider.

You will loose a lot if you start over - not just history but your job cost reports could be off for a while if your jobs last more than a month. If you are used to seeing comparison from year to year, you won't have that history if you start with the one JE (mentioned above).

Hope this helps!

TheWolf
01-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Here is a way to convert data:

Restore back to previous version
Reindex all available files
Unpost and repost from period 1
Sometimes with real problem ones I unposted and then reindexed the journal file/s
Then I would delete alarm, alert, and eventlog dat files and then reopen the company in the current version and allow them to rebuild empty. If you are on release 7 or lower you will want to delete the sortjob dat file and allow it to rebuild as well.

Usually the data converted without a problem when following the above.

Hope this helps and always make a backup before you start.

Jim Dale
01-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Tom is the expert. Corruption is a funny thing though. Sometimes it does get introduced when there is no apparent reason although it is usually related to something that you can measure like brown outs power failures or network activities.