PDA

View Full Version : System Error 54 on I/O Data Corruption

SK Wong
12-29-2003, 08:53 AM
Dear Peachtree Users

Anyone has encountered the Error 54 - Data Corruption, according to Peachtree Help Index, users have to do an Integrity check ....etc., The Peachtree Help Notes are on an individual sections without mentioning the sequential approach, if you have experience, please advise.

Many Thanks
S.K. Wong
Dec 29 2003

TheWolf
12-29-2003, 11:31 AM
That error message cannot be repaired by the integrity checks. You need to get an outside person to repair that data for you and there is no guarantee it can be repaired.

Shannon Tucker
12-29-2003, 02:19 PM
It is probably repairable. Details here. (http://peachtreeusers.com/datarepair.htm)

SK Wong
12-29-2003, 04:49 PM
Dear Users

Both advices are appreciated.

Many Thanks
S.K. Wong
Dec 30, 2003

SK Wong
01-08-2004, 08:05 PM
Dear Users

From other Peachtree user group, I got some information from Tom Sechler www.software-link.com, hereunder is his approach to the problem.

Run c:\peachw\peachw.exe -i
Integrity Check
Reindex Files - Jrnl rows
When that is finished go back into the Integrity Check and Reindex Lineitem.

If you are still having the problem try running the inventory/journal sysc test.

Unquote.

Bye
S.K. Wong
Jan 9 2004

Robert Walraven
01-10-2004, 10:15 PM
NO!!! Don't do that!!!
===============

If you are getting error 54 then one or more of your files are physically damaged. If you reindex a damaged file what you end up with is all the records up to the point of damage and nothing after that. In other words reindexing a file that gives you error 54 will almost certainly cause loss of data. And you have no idea what data is lost. When Peachtree reindexes the file it doesn't give you any indication that it has just thown some of your data away.

Because of the way Btrieve works the data you lose by reindexing will be scattered over seemingly random dates, so it is like turning your data into swiss cheese. You end up with accounting data that is completely invalid.

TheWolf
01-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by SK Wong
Dear Users

From other Peachtree user group, I got some information from Tom Sechler www.software-link.com, hereunder is his approach to the problem.

Run c:\peachw\peachw.exe -i
Integrity Check
Reindex Files - Jrnl rows
When that is finished go back into the Integrity Check and Reindex Lineitem.

If you are still having the problem try running the inventory/journal sysc test.

Unquote.

Bye
S.K. Wong
Jan 9 2004

THe above fix is not for IO error in variable length part of record or error 54.

Reindexing should only be used for regular IO errors in a file.