PDA

View Full Version : ODBC on Pervasive 2000

Rockhead
01-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Where can I get an ODBC driver to extract data from the Pervasive 2000 database? Has anyone been successful at this?

Thanks,

RH

Jim Dale
01-03-2004, 10:51 PM
And how are you thinking this relates to premium? What are you doing with Peachtree?

Rockhead
01-04-2004, 01:19 PM
I want to do ad hoc reporting using pivot tables in Excel, just as I would with any other GL, including QuickBooks.

RH

Jim Dale
01-04-2004, 01:25 PM
peachtree does link to excel. you don't have the ability you describe, as far as I know.

Jim Dale
01-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Actually check with add-ons like pawcom. www.multiwareinc.com

Rockhead
01-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Actually, I can connect to Peachtree using Pervasive 2000i ODBC just fine and do the extractions that I want to do. But I license Pervasive with Great Plains and ACCPAC, that's why I have the drivers. The Knowledge Base articles on the Peachtree web site on ODBC are THREE YEARS old. So much for online support! ;-) The standard install of Peachtree Premium and Complete does NOT install the ODBC drivers (W3odbcci.dll and W3odbcei.dll) from Pervasive. I'm on a fishing expedition to find out whether Peachtree actively supports ODBC. I could ask directly, but tech support can't answer my questions.

RH

Jim Dale
01-07-2004, 01:51 AM
I believe that the problem first occurred with business works. Peachtree has not loaded those drivers for some time, and do not recommend anything in that area. if it works for you, great! you may find others using those drivers, but no guarantees.

Rockhead
01-07-2004, 07:35 AM
Jim, I appreciate your replies. I called Peachtree pre-sales support on Monday, 01/05. They told me that Peachtree was ODBC compliant!!! And that I didn't need any additional drivers, etc. Peachtree was ready to go out of the box. Honestly, I didn't question the assertion, I just listened. Now I understand why I am confused... Peachtree is confused too!!!

Since Peachtree provides DDFs for Crystal Reports, I would guess that ODBC would function fine WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE DDFs. Does that not make sense? Otherwise, the reliability of Crystal Reports would be impaired, would it not?

Have you used PAWCOM with any success?

Thanks again,

=Mac=

Jim Dale
01-07-2004, 08:39 AM
I actually resell pawcom along with all the pt products. I love it for its ability to write pt data to access.

Robert Walraven
01-10-2004, 10:08 PM
To the best of my knowledge I believe PAW and PCAW have never supported ODBC. The latest version of these products includes only the Btrieve 6.15 engine (which has been obsolete for several years) and has never installed ODBC drivers. Also the Btrieve record structure for V7 and earlier was completely incompatible with ODBC.

Starting with the update to V8 Peachtree redesigned their database so that they could define a limited set of DDF files. The reason they did this was so that they could access the data from Crystal Reports for Peachtree. Once you have DDF files then you can use Pervasive 2000i to access the data, but you can get into real trouble if Pervasive 2000i is running and you start Peachtree because Peachtree thinks the Btrieve engine that Pervasive 2000 is running is the 6.15 engine. The Btrieve record structures changed with V7, so the records get misinterpreted.

The problem with accessing the data in with Pervasive 2000i is, as with Crystal Reports for Peachtree, that you are looking directly at the raw records in Peachtree and they are, to say the least, pretty confusing. For example, journal records of all types are mixed together in the JrnlHdr/JrnlRow tables and some of the fields in these records apply only to cetain types of journal records.

bk0215
01-19-2004, 01:17 PM
so is pt pervasive odbc compliant or not? i am a lil confused from reading all of your previous posts. I am wondering if I can connect to PT db using odbc, and if so, is it the pervasive odbc driver that I should be using? Please advise. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jim Dale
01-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Some of this is my conjecture. When sage bought PT, they already owned Business works and mas 90 and they gave us cds (demo versions) to sell the software. I discovered that the business works cd would cause peachtree to not operate. That was about three years ago. That is about when peachtree stopped supporting ODBC as far as I can tell. Although it seems to work, I am leery about making any recommendations because PT support doesn't.

Jim Dale
01-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Personally, I use Pawcom because of its ability to read to access and write back to peachtree (although I can't do that without help)

bk0215
01-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks to Jim for the replies. i have more questions. is it possible to use pawcom to change the underlying database structure for peachtree? More specificly, my company needs at least 50 characters for the inventory id field. Does anyone know any accounting software (preferrably sql-based) dat has at leat 50 chars for the inventory id? Any reply will be appreciated

RetroCanino
01-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Peachtree has never really given any support for ODBC since I have delt with them.

PAW COM is a good app, I would suggest that you at least get the demo version that works with the Peachtree sample companies and see what it can do. PAWCOM will allow you to take data out to an access DB

As for changing the Peachtree DB? Well, you can get it to run with Pervasive 7.90, though they dont support it, but as for expanding the fields to 50 not and be able for Peachtree to use it.