PDA

View Full Version : Lck

momofbrady
01-03-2004, 01:46 PM
There seems to be many Peach experts here! I am sure one of you knows the answer to this:

I was told to do this many years ago and was wondering if it's still necessary...

When a pc is shut down incorrectly while in Peach, many new files are created and they have the LCK extension. Am I supposed to delete them? I am not talking about data that's on a network - these are just single PC's that run alone. However, when I restore from backups, I often see these files on my hard drive. What are they, do I delete them and what happens if I don't delete them?

Thanks!
Dana

TheWolf
01-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Those are peachtree locking files. If you are on an earlier version then you will want to delete them every so often.

momofbrady
01-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks Wolf! You mentioned earlier versions, does this mean that 2004 doesn't do that?

Jim Dale
01-03-2004, 03:12 PM
The lock files are supposed to close when you close PT. If not, it might indicate a problem. You're not supposed to have to delete them but I still see problems occasionally. I can't give you a clear pattern yet, but I think it is an operating system issue sometimes. Keep track, if you're seeing this, in case you have to get support sometime.

momofbrady
01-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks Jim and thanks for your other help on this board. I'll probably be picking your brain next week with Tracker if ya don't mind. I am having problems with sales tax... I need it to post the je's on a cash basis for sales tax only. Peach is set up on an accrual for tax purposes but GA makes everybody pay sales tax on a cash basis. Ever run into that?

Thanks again for your kind help!
Dana

Jim Dale
01-03-2004, 03:24 PM
No. Tom (The Wolf) is actually in GA so he might have some thoughts. I have a used car dealer that is a customer that uses tracker. I might have to call her depending on your questions. I know tracker has a website for support.

momofbrady
01-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Jim, how does your client (used car dealer) report his sales taxes - cash or accrual? I am beginning to think that tracker only offers reports for an accrual basis but I may be wrong.

Thanks!
Dana

TheWolf
01-04-2004, 05:40 PM
The lck files are left behind when there is an improper shut down of Peachtree. One of the last things it does is close the db files and part of that is to delete the lck and ptl files.

I am not close to a computer with Peachtree on it but doesn't the taxable/exempt sales report allow for cash or accrual selecting on the filter screen?

momofbrady
01-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Peachtree does offer flexible reporting for ST.

I'm trying to get the reports from Tracker to report cash basis for ease in filling out the sales tax report.

When Tracker creates the je's for Peach, I want them to be on an accrual basis.

What I need to find out is this: When the two software packages are integrated, then can I use the S/T reports from Peach, instead of Tracker?

If I won't get reporting from Peach, then I need to spend time correcting S/T issues in Tracker before integrating the two. Tracker reports correctly on an accral basis - but the reports for cash basis are calculating incorrect for GA. My client was told it was an issue with the software and had to do with Texas Sales Tax reporting and would not report correctly for GA.

I find this amazing since the people answering the phone at the GA sales tax dept tell me that it is required that all small businesses that are not retailers of multiple products MUST PAY ON A CASH BASIS. Now I am dealing with a software that reports on an accrual basis only.

Here is what's happened over the years...

Because the IRS requires the S-Corp to file accruals for inventory and such, it's usual for such a business to keep books on the accrual basis. Because the fed gov requires it - everyone assumes that sales tax is also reported on an accrual basis. The state of GA says No, they are supposed to report cash only.

It get's even more frustrating when you literally READ the tax code the state has amended about sales and use tax reporting. It's not even close to the simple-minded answers you will get when you use the telephone.

Jim Dale
01-07-2004, 01:55 AM
Tracker can post all activity to pt so that you can use pt for all accounting reports.

momofbrady
01-09-2004, 05:26 PM
But can I pick and choose WHICH je's get posted to the ledger?

Jim Dale
01-09-2004, 05:33 PM
based on what you ask, yes.