PDA

View Full Version : backup and restore

momofbrady
01-07-2004, 07:43 PM
anybody getting an error trying to restore a backup from one pc to another?

Usually, it starts the restore and 24-27 percent complete - it gives me the following message:

"An error occurred during restore. The restore process was unsuccessful. Please try again"

So I did try again, by moving the ptb file to the desktop, cd, zip (still from the floppy originally) and then I get this message:

"The file you have selected is not a valid peachtree backup file. Please select another file."

I have beginning balances for my clients and since the ptb file is so small - I thought that I would use a floppy to transfer the data from my pc to my clients.

I find it hard to believe that all these floppy disks I've tried would result in the same error message and that each data file is curropted??? This is the third occasion where I get this error message. Three mixes of old/new pc's, three mixes of operating systems (98 ME & XP Pro).

Could all my floppy disk be bad? I do keep them in an unventilated basement closet. Anybody know if high humidity ruins floppy disks?

Thanks for your help!

Jim Dale
01-08-2004, 09:07 PM
the backup is a zip file. you can use winzip to unzip it. write, call, email if you cant find it. the ptb can be damaged and winzip might still unzip it.

momofbrady
01-09-2004, 05:22 PM
The error - It's only when you try and do a backup/restore using a 3.5 floppy disk. It worked perfectly when I used an external zip drive. It also worked at other offices when I copied the file from my PC using a read/write cd rom.

Amazing as it sounds, I have two clients using old - very old PC's. One doesn't even have a CD rom that works! Both have email at home, but the boss won't allow it at work so there went that option! Both of these clients complain about Peachtree constantly! And, constantly, I'm defending Peachtree! I can't get them to spend money to upgrade and I have to listen to constant complaints! They understand so little about computers that - of course - it's either me or Peachtree each time something goes wrong, lol! One is using a DOS version of Excel to do his payroll!!! Do you EVER run into these types or is it just me that get the warped tightwads???

Jim Dale
01-09-2004, 05:30 PM
try formating the disk on your computer, and then have them backup to it. There floppy is probably misaligned. yeah i have customers using dos 6 & 7 and windows 3 & 4.