PDA

View Full Version : Marking Jobs Inactive so purge will take place

suzryn
01-09-2004, 10:20 AM
We have years of created jobs that should be marked inactive and be purged from the record. In order to purge jobs they must be marked inactive which means you have to check the inactive box on the job maintenace screen and then save the job. Occasionally I will get the following message when trying to save the change. "Another user has changed this record since you began editing it. Click OK to see these changes. Then make your changes again if necessary." There are no other users and no matter how many times I have Ok'd and returned to the job and tried to save it gives me this message and I can not save the change. Has anyone any experience with this procedure and can you help? What must I do to clean up all these very old records?

Jim Dale
01-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Won't purge prior to version 2004. you could have some data issues also. if you have 2003 or 2004 try the data verification

momofbrady
01-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Thanks Jim for all your help with the other threads. I will be working on it next week, will let you know how your advice worked for us!

I used to get that error (above) often when I copied my clients data to my machine. This particular client was on a network - my machine was not. In the past, I just ignored the error and wasn't worried because I didn't intend to copy the data BACK to their machine.

Now, I am getting the error when I try to make changes to customers. This particular data is only on my PC, it's never been copied to and from.

In the past, I knew how to correct this, but I've been out of the peachtree realm for two years and have since forgotten. I was hoping you could be more specific... is data verification the only step needed to correct this?

Thanks again!
Dana

Jim Dale
01-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by suzryn
We have years of created jobs that should be marked inactive and be purged from the record. In order to purge jobs they must be marked inactive which means you have to check the inactive box on the job maintenace screen and then save the job. Occasionally I will get the following message when trying to save the change. "Another user has changed this record since you began editing it. Click OK to see these changes. Then make your changes again if necessary." There are no other users and no matter how many times I have Ok'd and returned to the job and tried to save it gives me this message and I can not save the change. Has anyone any experience with this procedure and can you help? What must I do to clean up all these very old records?

Yes if you have 2003 or 2004 try the data verification, that should work

suzryn
01-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.
Tried the Data Verification.
It found some errors, which it corrected.
But No help with this issue.
We still cannot make any changes to these jobs.
Any thing else????

Jim Dale
01-12-2004, 05:07 PM
Do you have 2004? There may be issues with your setup, operating system, etc. What do you have computer, version,operating system

suzryn
01-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Jim,

Thanks again.

We have installed Peachtree Premium Accounting 2004 with Crystal Reports.

We run Windows 2000 Professional on all our computers.

Jim Dale
01-13-2004, 09:26 AM
have you purged some of the jobs? it could be memory if the jobs file is very large, as you seem to say. i have used regedit to increase file, locks, etc. there was a fix you could download someone may still have it

suzryn
01-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Jim,

Yes, the jobs file is very big. I know because when creating a report it takes a while to load. That is the whole purpose behind my check marking the jobs inactive so I can then run the purge wizard and hopefully get rid of these very old jobs.

The error message only occurs on sporatic unrelated jobs. They number around 10-15 out of the thousands we have that's not too bad. However, I still would like to find out why I get this message. It's almost as if someone was in the middle of creating the job and had an inappropriate exit from peachtree and never saved it and peachtree holds it in this status like their is still an open log in session from this other user.

Is there any way to manually delete records from the peachtree data files? I know this is dangerous but if we can't solve this issue and we do not have peachtree's support it will drive me crazy.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.
Sue Ryan

Jim Dale
01-13-2004, 10:15 AM
you should purge what you have marked. i would bet there is some data corruption. if you purge what you can, data verification might fix the other problems. if not, i and others on this forum do data repair so you could contract with one of us

Jim Dale
01-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by suzryn
Jim,

Yes, the jobs file is very big. I know because when creating a report it takes a while to load. That is the whole purpose behind my check marking the jobs inactive so I can then run the purge wizard and hopefully get rid of these very old jobs.

The error message only occurs on sporatic unrelated jobs. They number around 10-15 out of the thousands we have that's not too bad. However, I still would like to find out why I get this message. It's almost as if someone was in the middle of creating the job and had an inappropriate exit from peachtree and never saved it and peachtree holds it in this status like their is still an open log in session from this other user.

Is there any way to manually delete records from the peachtree data files? I know this is dangerous but if we can't solve this issue and we do not have peachtree's support it will drive me crazy.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.
Sue Ryan

This is a possibility in explaining the corruption. You must always stop btrieve b4 exiting PT

suzryn
01-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Jim

I am all over it. Running the wizard as we speak and I will let you know.... Thanks Again.

suzryn
01-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Jim,

Well I ran the purge, it was very sluggish and then peachtree locked up, it was not responding and I was not able to complete it. And when I went to log back in, my company was missing. I had to retore the backup I did before purging. What a mess. I don't know what to do now. If you have any more suggestions, I will surely try and do what I can. Otherwise we may need such services that you have offered. Thanks again.

TheWolf
01-13-2004, 03:37 PM
There are some cases when a transaction is either too complicated for the wizard to remove or in the case of jobs it may not purge them. Even the improved purge wizard may leave behind jobs or transactions.

When you say not responding, a common problem is that peachw.exe may go not responding but w32mkde (the database engine) is still working. In the case of purges or closings for large companies I always recommend letting it sit all night before ending task on the program. It is also best to do these things with the data local, rather than across a network and do it on the fastest machine.

Jim Dale
01-13-2004, 07:00 PM
Are you running it local as Tom suggested? I have seen it take over night even on fast machines.

suzryn
01-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Well lets see.
The data is on our server, but I was running the purge from my machine. Tonite before I leave I will run the purge from the server and see what happens. I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help, guys. Really appreciative. Sue