PDA

View Full Version : I/O Error in JRNLHDR.DAT

Raymond
01-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Just received an I/O error in jrnlhdr.dat. We just upgraded to PPA2004 and started a new company. One of the reasons for doing so was we were using version 5 and were starting to periodically receive an I/O error in journal.dat. First I moved the data to a different machine on the network. Still got the error messages. Upgraded to 2004. Scan disk says there are no errors on the drive.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the cause of the errors?

Thanks,
Raymond

Jim Dale
01-09-2004, 04:16 PM
data corruption. try data verification, then write, call, whatever if it doesnt work. sometimes the inv/journal synch test will fix it even when data verification does not

Raymond
01-09-2004, 07:43 PM
What will data verification do? Will try on Monday.

Thanks for the help.

Will let you know.

Raymond

Jim Dale
01-09-2004, 07:53 PM
data verification, 2003 & 2004 ONLY!!!!!, will reindex the data and run integrity checks. Sometimes thats all you need

Robert Walraven
01-10-2004, 10:34 PM
I/O errors (Btrieve error 2) that occur occasionally are an indication that you have some sort of network problem that is preventing file reads or writes from completing on your company data files. Eventually this kind of problem will lead to corruption of your data files if this hasn't occured already.

If you get an I/O error then your accounting data may contain an incorrect transaction. The Peachtree Data Verification tests may fix this problem, but it isn't guaranteed. Also you will have to rerun the Data Verification each time you have a problem. That is, the Data Verification tests will not cure your I/O error problem, they will just clean up the data afterwards.

Only Peachtree knows what the Data Verification tests really do, but to the best of my knowledge they do not reindex files, which is something you NEVER want to do on a physically damaged file anyway.

Raymond
01-11-2004, 05:14 AM
"I/O errors (Btrieve error 2) that occur occasionally are an indication that you have some sort of network problem that is preventing file reads or writes from completing on your company data files."

Thanks for the input. Any ideas what would cause these problems and how to fix them?

Raymond

HerbGeorge
01-23-2004, 04:13 PM
I have had this problem just reciently and it can be very nasty.

Here are some of the "rules of the game" for you:

Data verification is not good idea because if the I/O error occurs during Data verification it causes an abnormal stop. After this you probibly will not be able to log into the company again and the login results in a "Data Verification not complete" error.

You cannot move individual files in or out of your company's folder because the files you move in will not sync with the rest of the files.

Reindexing the company will probibly not work either because the reindexing uses the JrnlHdr.dat and JrnlRow.dat files to reindex the rest of the data bases that make up your Peachtree company.

If a backup file has the corrupted JrnlHdr.dat file that backup is no good.

The only way I was able to fix the I/O error problem was to restore the company from the last known good backup.

The only problem was that the last known good backup was taken 11/25/03 so two and 1/2 months of data were lost.

I violated the most important rule: BACK UP EVERY DAY.

I realize that loss of data is not pleasant but some times it happens.

Raymond
01-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Two and a half months :(

I only lost a week.

Shannon Tucker
01-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Yes, it can be painful.

Data in these kinds of cases is usually recoverable (http://peachtreeusers.com/datarepair.htm).

Preventing future reoccurence basically means making life easier for Peachtree on your network: use a fast server, defrag its hard drive frequently, use Win 2000 or Win XP Pro on server and all workstations, and use the same high quality network cards on all your workstations.

Lisa Traylor
02-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Can't open PT b/c of this message....have tried all suggestions, including CHKDSK, data verification, reindexing, rebooting, restoring back-ups from earlier days, and repairing PT. Now, when I try to restore from our online back-ups, it says "unexpected error...0x80040010 all files to be retrieved are already in the system". Help!!! Other suggestions?

rick Prindivill
02-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Rename the USERPREF.DAT file located in your Company data folder. Peachtree will recreate this file upon opening your company.