PDA

View Full Version : Exit Problem

scmullen
01-15-2004, 07:12 PM
I justed installed Peachtree Premium Accounting 2004 on a new laptop with windows x/p on a network. Have used peachtree for years and never had an install problem like this. Peachtree opens to the correct company but when I exit the program it returns to the peachtree screen before a company is open and then stops responding. Would love an answer to this one.

TheWolf
01-18-2004, 06:02 PM
There are two hotfixes for XP that apparently cause this problem, Q810577 and Q811493.

bernoffice
02-02-2004, 12:43 PM
I had this same problem occur, only on our XP machines. It is the hotfix #'s 810577 & 811493 as what was previously posted. Every time windows is updated however you will have to manually delete these hotfixs; which the system may or may not let you do easily. The root of the problem is the file "mrxsmb.sys" which needs to be replaced with an earlier version. The above two hotfixs download a new version of this file and causes the conflict with Peachtree exiting and moving between companies.

KevinF
02-03-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by bernoffice
I had this same problem occur, only on our XP machines. It is the hotfix #'s 810577 & 811493 as what was previously posted. Every time windows is updated however you will have to manually delete these hotfixs; which the system may or may not let you do easily. The root of the problem is the file "mrxsmb.sys" which needs to be replaced with an earlier version. The above two hotfixs download a new version of this file and causes the conflict with Peachtree exiting and moving between companies.
This is a MS issue and are suppose to have a fix for it. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811492 Also check out http://support.microsoft.com/?id=812937 it has a work around for a locking issue that might help. If it does or doesnt let me know.

eway
02-05-2004, 01:21 PM
If one has already purchased new workstations with XP Pro (SP 1A) and installed Peachtree Completer Accounting 2002, is there a permanent fix to this "hanging on exit" problem? (Besides going backwards to a stripped-down version of XP Pro and not downloading security patches or using Windows 2000)?

KevinF
02-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by eway
If one has already purchased new workstations with XP Pro (SP 1A) and installed Peachtree Completer Accounting 2002, is there a permanent fix to this "hanging on exit" problem? (Besides going backwards to a stripped-down version of XP Pro and not downloading security patches or using Windows 2000)? You can trying to contact MS and reference my previous posts to see if that solves the issue for you.

MS has a similiar issue and are suppose to have a fix for it. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811492

eway
02-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I do have a technician who is on-site with all relevant documentation. I'll let you know what happens. I've also spoken to Peachtree Support several times. According to Peachtree, they are "working on this." A Peachtree supervisor has also promised to return my phone call with an update.

I've been supporting Peachtree since 1987, and this is the most challenging issue I've ever faced. It hardly seems reasonable to tell people just to wait until Peachtree exits by itself. People are going to reboot their computers, and if someone else is in the database at the same time updating a transaction, you will have corruption.

What exactly does the MRXSMB.SYS file do? And specifically, Kevin, have you replaced this file on a multi-user Peachtree installation? Did it fix the problem permanently? And did it have any effect on other programs?

eway
02-06-2004, 08:09 AM
Yesterday an MCSE and my Peachtree support person downloaded the following MS fix http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811492.

We had high hopes that this would solve the problem, as it seemed logical that the reason why Peachtree was hanging on exit was due to the slowdown in deleting lock files upon exit.

However, it did not work, and our only opinion at this point, according to two Peachtree Support supervisors, is to tell the client to allow Peachtree to end normally, however long that takes.

JEEZ!!!!

KevinF
02-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by eway
Thanks for the quick response. I do have a technician who is on-site with all relevant documentation. I'll let you know what happens. I've also spoken to Peachtree Support several times. According to Peachtree, they are "working on this." A Peachtree supervisor has also promised to return my phone call with an update.

I've been supporting Peachtree since 1987, and this is the most challenging issue I've ever faced. It hardly seems reasonable to tell people just to wait until Peachtree exits by itself. People are going to reboot their computers, and if someone else is in the database at the same time updating a transaction, you will have corruption.

What exactly does the MRXSMB.SYS file do? And specifically, Kevin, have you replaced this file on a multi-user Peachtree installation? Did it fix the problem permanently? And did it have any effect on other programs?
Most of my clients that run peachtree on XP dont have the issue closing Peachtree or they havent reported that it is an issue. Most of them area also using HIGH END RAID 0 workstations (dual prcossors) 2+ gigs of RAM, to handle Video Editing Apps, like 3-D video animiation apps and CAD programs. The one that did was also having problems with some of their other software that was even a bigger issue to them, we had a developer for there main app come in and we were able to determine that it was the 811492 issue. When it was applied it seemed to correct all the issues including with one with Peachtree closing.