PDA

View Full Version : Surprise on printing payroll checks


davidng
01-19-2004, 10:27 PM
I'm a new user of Premium Accounting Edtion 2004 and was very surprised to notice that a couple of payroll checks printed out in a very strange way. The net amount of the payroll check was $180.00. However, the wording was printed out as One Hundred Seventy Nine and 100/100 Dollars. Technically, the check was O.K. Why did Peachtree print payroll checks this way? --- even if that could be a rounding situation. Both Check & Payroll registers as well as all other reports showed $180.00.

Same situation happened for another check with net amount of $40.00. It was printed with wording Thirty Nine and 100/100 Dollars.

Can Peachtree round up the dollar and print 0/100 instead?

Two of my clients complained to me if their Banks would short-pay them by a dollar!

David Ng

TheWolf
01-20-2004, 03:24 PM
I found it hard to beleive until I saw it correct the issue but it is the way the print driver is interpreting the data. Try a backwards compatable or alternate print driver.

davidng
01-20-2004, 05:38 PM
My printer is HP LaserJet 2300. Which driver should I install or try? I have some problems in my checks too --- in the check stub, the lower part of lower case "g" and "y" do not come out, looking like "a" and "v". Also, some nos. can only come out 90% i.e. partially cut off. This does not happen in the check itself --- but it happens in the check stub.

Thanks.

David

davidng
01-23-2004, 12:01 PM
I talked to HP technical support who helped me to walk through installation and de-installation and then re-installation of a couple of HP LaserJet 2300 PCL6 & PCL5e drivers and I even tried another older HP LaserJet 6P driver and tried it. It's been over 1-2 hours of telephone support and work. However, it still didn't work --- primarily I'm checking on the crooked printing of letters "y" and "g" in the check stub, which was printed out as "v" and "a" with the lower part of the letters omitted. It's difficult for me to check into the other problem of cents and dollars until I have another check (or creating another similar one).

Does Peachtree have a way to add in or update print fonts, which might be the problem?

How can I get in touch with Peachtree technical support on this issue without paying a fee?

David

cohee25401
01-23-2004, 06:14 PM
I don't think its the print driver we have a Brother Laser Printer. We have had two checks do the same thing. One in November printed 95.00 and wrote out Ninety-Four. and it happened to another check in December. And we are using PT Compelete 2000. We have two companies one company on one computer and one on another and two printers we are not networked with each nor on the internet. We have been using the same software since 99 the printer was new last year. We now check all checks printed. My system is fine so far. I think its a clich.

You can change the fonts line by line in design and save it. This is under payroll then payroll checks.
Monica

cohee25401
01-23-2004, 06:17 PM
David,
I forgot to mention that our son lives in Arlington.
Monica

davidng
01-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Thanks, Monica.

Glad that your son is right by our area. I live in N. Arlington, very close to the D/FW airport.

What else could you do with the weird checks? Re-print (which would be the same, wouldn't it?) or ???? Some people told me that payroll table or rounding might have something to do with the situation. It won't normally happen for regualr checks, unless you worked with discounts, I guess.

I think Peachtree needs to address and fix the "surprise".

Thanks.

David

cohee25401
01-24-2004, 01:58 PM
David,
We found ours after the fact, the other bookkeeper and myself we glance at our checks but we hadn't been looking directly at each check. I did reprint the last check on paper and it printed correctly. My other thought is this -- I closed 2002 in the middle of November 2003 not sure what would cause this. We are now checking each check for amounts written and numerical. I still think its a clich.

davidng
01-24-2004, 06:24 PM
Monica,

Thanks for the feedback.

Since I normally print my payroll checks in a batch, about 15-20 at one time, do you think the way to fix any future "weird" check is to void that check (not to cancel the whole batch --- which will be a waste of preprinted checks in my case) and try to re-print that check with a new check no. (and try on paper first before the actual re-print)?

Since I have two "weird" checks during two consecutive check printings on 1/12/04, I'm still upset with what I've got from Peachtree (especially I was blamed by my client for what happened after she received them). I never had that problem with my old software which I had used for over ten years.

David

cohee25401
01-24-2004, 07:05 PM
David,
Yes, I would void or delete the checks. Although did you try to reprint them on plain paper under the single check display. You may get the checks to print correctly without deleting or voiding. It will be ok if it says duplicate. You can pull the checks up under payroll reports or under tasks.

We also print in batches one company with 28 to 30 and 80 to 90 for our larger group. It was the large group that had the mistake. I actually just went in and reprinted the check on plain paper. The employee's bank accepted the numerical numbers for her. Our's was the last payroll of the year and 1 check in November. The one in November I found when I reconciled the payroll checking accounting. The employee nor the other bookkeeper noticed the mistake.

This did happen after I closed out 2002. But I closed out 2002 on our other computer and no problems. I don't think I deleted it, that's been almost 4 weeks now and W-2's have come and gone. But I did go into the check bringing it up a couple of times in the single printing of a check under tasks. It's hard when I'm not in front of my work computer. I use Quickbooks at home. Let your client know that this isn't your fault. It's PT!

I hope this helps. And this may never happen again a fluke so to speak. Who know?

TheWolf
01-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by cohee25401
I don't think its the print driver we have a Brother Laser Printer. We have had two checks do the same thing. One in November printed 95.00 and wrote out Ninety-Four. and it happened to another check in December. And we are using PT Compelete 2000. We have two companies one company on one computer and one on another and two printers we are not networked with each nor on the internet. We have been using the same software since 99 the printer was new last year. We now check all checks printed. My system is fine so far. I think its a clich.

You can change the fonts line by line in design and save it. This is under payroll then payroll checks.
Monica

As I said, until I saw it work by trying an alternate or backwards compatable driver I didn't think it was the problem. Kind of hard to dispute when you see it fixed before your eyes.

davidng
01-27-2004, 10:48 PM
I did "pull up" the printed checks (two of them), and reprinted it using "preview" and on plain paper. The same "problem" appeared for both. I then manually changed the withholding tax amount (with more decimal places) to see if rounding caused the "problem" several times (using "trial or error'), and I got the same results for both checks. Rounding might not be the cause.

$180.00 payroll check was printed as One Hundred Seventy Nine and 100/100 Dollars. And $80.00 payroll check was printed as Seventy Nine and 100/100 Dollars.

I talked to HP for 1.5 hours over the phone and HP said that my PCL6 driver for HP LaserJet 2300 was good (after installation and deinstallation). I did not try a "backward" driver such as PCL5e for these two checks. But, I did try printing other checks with PCL5e driver. The check stub with "g" and "y" were still printed with "a" and "v" (fonts on the check itself were good though). I was discouraged to try more of my time. For this situation, it could be my printer or even the laser cartridge (which I could find out upon replacement or using another printer).

However, could the "weird" printing of payroll checks most likely be a "flaw" in Peachtree Premium Accounting Edition or its incompatibility with the said printer or driver???

David

Diane Koers
01-28-2004, 10:52 AM
I have seen this situation several times. It's very sporadic and doesn't do this on all checks, but changing the printer driver will correct it. Try changing to an HP II or III. Should fix it.

Jim Dale
02-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by davidng
I did "pull up" the printed checks (two of them), and reprinted it using "preview" and on plain paper. The same "problem" appeared for both. I then manually changed the withholding tax amount (with more decimal places) to see if rounding caused the "problem" several times (using "trial or error'), and I got the same results for both checks. Rounding might not be the cause.

$180.00 payroll check was printed as One Hundred Seventy Nine and 100/100 Dollars. And $80.00 payroll check was printed as Seventy Nine and 100/100 Dollars.

I talked to HP for 1.5 hours over the phone and HP said that my PCL6 driver for HP LaserJet 2300 was good (after installation and deinstallation). I did not try a "backward" driver such as PCL5e for these two checks. But, I did try printing other checks with PCL5e driver. The check stub with "g" and "y" were still printed with "a" and "v" (fonts on the check itself were good though). I was discouraged to try more of my time. For this situation, it could be my printer or even the laser cartridge (which I could find out upon replacement or using another printer).

However, could the "weird" printing of payroll checks most likely be a "flaw" in Peachtree Premium Accounting Edition or its incompatibility with the said printer or driver???

David

David, look at the height in check design. It sounds to me as if the bottom part of those two letters are being cut off.

Jim Dale
02-01-2004, 03:32 PM
The problem IS the printer driver. (79 100/100 instead of 80) There is a simple driver that will work. One always does, as Diane and Tom both stated.

Robert Walraven
02-02-2004, 02:28 PM
A thought as to the source of the problem - I've done some examination of the bit patterns in the floating point numbers that Peachtree generates and noticed that occasionally the least significant bit will be off. What this means is that a number like 180.00 might actually be stored internally as something approximately like 180.0000000000000001 or 179.9999999999999999. In the latter case it is conceivable, if part of the printing process is to separate the numbers on each side of the decimal, that the number might be displayed as 179.100.

davidng
02-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks to all your responses and advice.

I did finally install HP LaserJet4 and HP LaserJet III drivers in my Dell Dimension 8300, directly from Windows XP Professional (per HP's advice) and have my printer HP LaserJet 2300 connected as before.

I set up my default printer (driver used) to be HP LaserJet4 first and then went back to Peachtree Premium Accountant Edition (2004) and reprint the "weird" payroll check of $180.00. Both "preview" and "actual printout" gave me the correct duplicate check of $180.00 and "One Hundred Eighty and 00/100 Dollars".

I then performed the same test by using HP LaserJet III. I had the same result!!! Bravo!!!

I used "Payroll Preprint 2-stub" option. HP LaserJet4 driver had the better printout. For LaserJet III driver, the lowest 1/3 of the printout i.e. 2nd check-stub at the bottom of the page showed fonts with a lot of letters and numbers partially "cut off". I tried a couple of times and I had the same situation.

Strangely enough, I went back and tried on my HP LaserJet 2300 PCL6 driver. Now the $180.00 check was printed correctly both "on screen under preview" and "on hard copy". Computer clich again??? Maybe --- but at least I'm relieved for getting the "correct" check.

Well, the "partial cutoff" of lower case letters "y" and "g" in the check stubs (which made the fonts to appear as "v" and"a" remained unchanged. Also the name of employee with upper case "Q" appeared as "O" in the check stubs too. Fortunately, the print fonts on the check itself was correct. I do not know the reasons for all of these --- drivers? my own printer? printer cartridge? or software? I think I have to wait and see what happens with I begin using a second printer cartridge after I run of my first one.

Thanks again for all your help!

David

Jim Dale
02-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by davidng
Thanks to all your responses and advice.

I did finally install HP LaserJet4 and HP LaserJet III drivers in my Dell Dimension 8300, directly from Windows XP Professional (per HP's advice) and have my printer HP LaserJet 2300 connected as before.

I set up my default printer (driver used) to be HP LaserJet4 first and then went back to Peachtree Premium Accountant Edition (2004) and reprint the "weird" payroll check of $180.00. Both "preview" and "actual printout" gave me the correct duplicate check of $180.00 and "One Hundred Eighty and 00/100 Dollars".

I then performed the same test by using HP LaserJet III. I had the same result!!! Bravo!!!

I used "Payroll Preprint 2-stub" option. HP LaserJet4 driver had the better printout. For LaserJet III driver, the lowest 1/3 of the printout i.e. 2nd check-stub at the bottom of the page showed fonts with a lot of letters and numbers partially "cut off". I tried a couple of times and I had the same situation.

Strangely enough, I went back and tried on my HP LaserJet 2300 PCL6 driver. Now the $180.00 check was printed correctly both "on screen under preview" and "on hard copy". Computer clich again??? Maybe --- but at least I'm relieved for getting the "correct" check.

Well, the "partial cutoff" of lower case letters "y" and "g" in the check stubs (which made the fonts to appear as "v" and"a" remained unchanged. Also the name of employee with upper case "Q" appeared as "O" in the check stubs too. Fortunately, the print fonts on the check itself was correct. I do not know the reasons for all of these --- drivers? my own printer? printer cartridge? or software? I think I have to wait and see what happens with I begin using a second printer cartridge after I run of my first one.

Thanks again for all your help!

David
Did you check the height of field in the check stub to make sure it is high enough to contain the whole letter?

cohee25401
02-03-2004, 08:02 PM
David,
I have been reading all the postings. I have one more thought.
Jim made mention of the the height but have you tried changing the payroll check font under payroll in design?
You can select all (right click) and all the xxxxxx will be highlighted then with your mouse over one of xxxx right click and change the font from printer to arial or your favortite font and size. Just save the format and rename it to your needs. (example Paychks04)
I use arial and 11 on a 2 stub check. I am not in front of my work computer so I hope I didn't miss any steps.
Don't give up you'll get it fixed