PDA

View Full Version : W32mkde.exe

bernoffice
02-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Has anyone else have the problem of the engine w32mkde.exe remaining open long after you exit out of P/T? This is a continual problem on our network. We do nightly backups, and more often than not, I have to search all computers to see if this file is running before I can perform the backup procedure. Has anyone else run into this or know why it does not shut down after exiting P/T? Thanks for your help.

Jim Dale
02-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by bernoffice
Has anyone else have the problem of the engine w32mkde.exe remaining open long after you exit out of P/T? This is a continual problem on our network. We do nightly backups, and more often than not, I have to search all computers to see if this file is running before I can perform the backup procedure. Has anyone else run into this or know why it does not shut down after exiting P/T? Thanks for your help.
Add more info about your operating system, network, hardware, and version of peachtree. do you use any other programs that use btrieve, or are you using ACT link or Crystal?

bernoffice
02-16-2004, 06:23 AM
Jim, we are running on a network with Windows 2000 Server. The PC's vary by operating system, some running XP, others 2000 pro. The error, for lack of a better term, occurs on either OS. We have P/T 2004 Premium. We do also have ACT. I don't think any other software we have uses btrieve. Thanks for your help. Mark

Jim Dale
02-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by bernoffice
Jim, we are running on a network with Windows 2000 Server. The PC's vary by operating system, some running XP, others 2000 pro. The error, for lack of a better term, occurs on either OS. We have P/T 2004 Premium. We do also have ACT. I don't think any other software we have uses btrieve. Thanks for your help. Mark
Do you use the ACT link to Peachtree?

bernoffice
02-16-2004, 10:42 AM
No. I looked at Act Link, but I decided against it. We run both programs independent of each other.

Robert Walraven
02-19-2004, 09:41 PM
I believe it is common practice for Windows to leave DLLs running for 20 minutes after they are last used and then shut them down unless there is a specific request to shut them down. The reason for this is that there is a fair amount of overhead starting up the DLLs that an application uses, so leaving them running for awhile avoids the startup problem if you are only leaving the calling program for a while. This is how Windows gets perceived faster performance. Take a look at the processes that are running at any time and you will see a lot of things loaded ready to go.

The calling interface to Btrieve is a DLL, not the W32MKDE.EXE. It is the job of the interface DLL to start up W32MKDE if it is not already running. Thus W32MKDE will not shut down until the interface DLL times out unless you explicitly shut it down.

To test this behavior I started Peachtree on a system where it had not been running for a while. It took 11.5 seconds to get to the initial select company screen. I then shut it down and restarted it. This time it took 5 seconds. I shut it down and waited a minute and started it again and it still took 5 seconds.

I would think there is some way through a Windows API call to actually get DLLs to unload when you are done with them, but it is not common practice to do this. For example, when we are through with Btrieve in PawCom we do a Btrieve reset, which instructs it to release all the resources it has tied up, but Btrieve itself remains running.

bernoffice
02-20-2004, 06:21 AM
Thanks Robert, that makes sense that the DLL's remain running awhile after P/T closes out. I had assumed there was a reason, now I know why. It still is a pain though since I have to go around and manually close out the w32mkde.exe file on everyone's computer just so I can do the nightly backup. The time that the DLL remains open must also vary from machine to machine, since I don't always find the w32mkde.exe file open and running on all machines. Oh well, just looking for a way to get home a little sooner, some days it takes a good half hour to find the file, then do the backup.

Jim Dale
02-20-2004, 06:30 AM
I did look through some previous posts, and talked to peachtree support and I can tell you that Robert's answer is the first one that I have heard that makes sense. I used to think it had something to do with write behind caching. I have seen the problem occur more often with xp pro and 2000 sp3 then with 98. I know these op systems are more stable for networks - maybe this is one reason...

bernoffice
02-20-2004, 06:37 AM
I have seen the "problem" on all OS systems that we have, none more frequent than others. What I have found however is that when someone has a problem with their computer "freezing up" or the like during the day, I find that the file will still be running at night. Coincidence or not, I don't know.

Jim Dale
02-20-2004, 06:44 AM
When they freeze, you should end task. Freezing is not normal. Perhaps finding the answer to that problem ends your problem with w32mkde. I can't research it with you right now, but you might start a new post with some of the data about how the computers are set up. A new post might attract other techs to give their opinions. Also search for freeze and read those posts.

bernoffice
02-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks for your help Jim, it happens so often that I don't think it is only one scenario causing the problem. I was just hoping that someone else was having the same problem and had figured it out. I will advise if I ever do.

Jim Dale
02-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Tom did post this previously. I found it by searching for freeze. You might want to look at some of the other posts.

Peachtree runs fine with win2000.

On to the workstation problem:

Start simple, replace all NIC drivers
Check connections
If using a hub go to a switch
If on switch swap it out

If the problem is happening on all workstations move it temporarily to a peer to peer and see how it runs. This will either isolate or rule out a problem on the server level.

Tom worked at peachtree, senior tech level

ja231
03-02-2004, 04:49 AM
We had the same problem. Create a small script/batch file and run it about ten minutes before the backup time. The script can use the NET command and terminate the shared folder being used to hold the Peachtree Data files. (If is is a network)
This would end the process.

bernoffice
03-02-2004, 09:13 AM
I have never run a batch command or a script. Could you please provide a few details? We are on a network running Windows 2000 Server. Thanks for your help!

ja231
03-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Create a file called stopPT.bat
Add the following line

NET SESSION /DELETE /y

Using scheduler, time it to run just before the backup.
Notes:
The data must be on the server
Running this will disconnect all users for the machine.
It will kill/disconnect all users from any share data (like P/T)
Once this is done, all locks files are removed

Test it first