PDA

View Full Version : slow check printing

adminsj
02-18-2004, 01:25 PM
upgraded to premium 2004 last fall, no problems. after installing the yearend update, my a/p check printing has become very slow. it now takes about 20 seconds once I click on 'print' to bring up the screen which indicates the check number, etc. Then it's another 10 second or so after clicking 'ok' before the check will actually print. my IT guys tell me it's got to be a peachtree issue. I'm running on XP to an HP laserjet 4000. It's taking me FOREVER to get my bills paid! Suggestions?

Jim Dale
02-18-2004, 09:49 PM
[i]Originally posted by adminsj [/
upgraded to premium 2004 last fall, no problems. after installing the yearend update, my a/p check printing has become very slow. it now takes about 20 seconds once I click on 'print' to bring up the screen which indicates the check number, etc. Then it's another 10 second or so after clicking 'ok' before the check will actually print. my IT guys tell me it's got to be a peachtree issue. I'm running on XP to an HP laserjet 4000. It's taking me FOREVER to get my bills paid! Suggestions?
The tax update? Do you process payroll? Report speed, has it changed? What other programs or updates have you loaded?
network or local printer? xp home or pro? any software or hardware changes?

adminsj
02-19-2004, 05:58 AM
I've installed the tax updates and any updates that we were notified of via opening peachtree. We do process payroll and the printing of those checks is just as slow. Report printing speed has not changed, it's just check printing. The printer is networked. We use XP pro. Have not had any software or hardware changes other than the upgrade to xp and install of a brand new machine which happened around the same time (chronologically prior to upgrade to premium 2004).

Printed checks again yesterday and found that for some reason, a few of the ~100 checks (printed singularly, not in batch) will process quickly rather than the slow process(but I could find no logic to which ones)...maybe I need to do a reindexing or something along that line?

Jim Dale
02-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by adminsj
I've installed the tax updates and any updates that we were notified of via opening peachtree. We do process payroll and the printing of those checks is just as slow. Report printing speed has not changed, it's just check printing. The printer is networked. We use XP pro. Have not had any software or hardware changes other than the upgrade to xp and install of a brand new machine which happened around the same time (chronologically prior to upgrade to premium 2004).

Printed checks again yesterday and found that for some reason, a few of the ~100 checks (printed singularly, not in batch) will process quickly rather than the slow process(but I could find no logic to which ones)...maybe I need to do a reindexing or something along that line? Check printing is the most memory intensive thing that peachtree does. Upgrading the op system without upgrading your memory will cause you to slow down. How much memory do you have. Are you comfortable with regedit? You might want to optimize xp by changing the number of files in config.nt. Anyway, I'm sure it is a resource problem. What you are comfortable with doing in this type of format... let me know

adminsj
02-20-2004, 07:48 AM
I got entirely new pentium 4 machine which came with XP. Have 512mg of RAM. I'm not sure what regedit is? I'm not a techie so I'll forward your suggestion regarding the config.nt to my IT dept.

coffeeguy
04-07-2004, 12:23 PM
I use inventory control, and I've noticed this problem whenever I'm paying a merchandise invoice, because Peachtree updates inventory control before printing the check. I solved it by batch printing all my payables. It still takes 10-15 minutes, but I can go have a cup of coffee instead of sitting with it!

adminsj
04-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by coffeeguy
I use inventory control, and I've noticed this problem whenever I'm paying a merchandise invoice, because Peachtree updates inventory control before printing the check. I solved it by batch printing all my payables. It still takes 10-15 minutes, but I can go have a cup of coffee instead of sitting with it!

I don't use inventory control, but have noticed that the problem doesn't happen every time I print checks. There must be some combination that's causing it cause when it happens it's awful but other days it works just fine. I run multiple companies and when it's bad for one, they're all bad. The other interesting fact is that even when it's slow, there are some vendors that it prints quickly while the rest are very slow. Too many variables yet to define where the problem stems.

Jim Dale
04-23-2004, 12:47 PM
sometimes p'tree requires more files to be specified as open by your op system. depending on the op system that means changing files config.sys or config.nt. files can be upped to 1000 using regedit. Both probably need to be done

pickupman
05-08-2004, 10:03 AM
You haven't indicated how your printer is hooked up to the computer. If the printer is connected via te LPT printer port, it will print very slow. XP doesn't fully support the printer port, and will use a lot of memory and cpu when printing. If you are connected via a USB cable then this would not be an issue.

adminsj
05-09-2004, 05:57 AM
I'm not techinical on this stuff, but I'm hooked up to a network printer if that helps in answering your question.

I had our IT dept make the change that Jim Dale suggested "...config.sys or config.nt. files can be upped to 1000 using regedit. Both probably need to be done..." and so far it seems to have fixed the problem, but my check printing isn't done every day so the real test will be if the next couple of weeks go without the slowness.