PDA

View Full Version : Importing from Excel

Shannon
11-14-2001, 04:42 PM
I am importing inventory from Excel. However, after I import, all of my Item and extended description text is squished together with no spaces. Any ideas on why, and how to prevent?

jag
01-19-2002, 01:01 PM
How are you importing inventory items on Peachtree DOS ?

Shannon
01-20-2002, 08:12 AM
I have an Excel Template that has each field. I type in my information, and then save as a CSV file. I then go into maintain inventory, F6, and then fill out the info to import.

bytor
05-17-2002, 08:17 AM
Shannon,

You would be my hero if you would share that template with me... Or at least tell me how to create my own. I am in need of such an animal because we are trying to incorporate barcoding into peachtree, and it looks like this is the only way to do it. Thanks!

Rod

Shannon
05-17-2002, 09:22 AM
You can email me @ sanderson@academic-wholesale.com, and I will email you my template and any instructions that I can get together for you. Basically, you need a column for each data field.

jag
05-17-2002, 09:29 AM
Rod,

What do you need to export from Peachtree or to import to Peachtree?

For what do you need the Template? IMHO either way is not essential.

Exporting inventory to CSV and then to Excel is easy (use PDQ). Usually that's what I would look for, if I'm doing barcoding with Peachtree. Shannon is talking about importing to Peachtree which is a whole diffent issue (you can do that easily with CSV and the procedure that she mentioned).

If you need further assistance using PDQ or have other questions/issues just post back (or send me an e-mail).

Hope this helps,

bytor
05-17-2002, 03:16 PM
I am trying to export and import... I guess the only reason I need to export is to see the fields that are available. I was able to do that using pdq, but since you can select which fields to export when I tried to do an import of the exact same file it failed.

So here is my scenerio: We are an oil distributor, and we receive prepackaged products as well as bulk oil. We then sell the prepackaged products and bulk to our customers, as well as repackage the bulk into drums and 5 gallon pales for sale. So we are looking to scan all inventory in and out. I figured the prepackaged products would be a no-brainer since they already have UPC codes. The other stuff will be a little more difficult, but I think do-able. I had planned on making my own barcodes for those products.

Now, to make all of this work I have to import all scanned data into Peachtree, which looks like it can be done. I have no idea how it will work, or how well. It looks like I can import a file and apply changes, which will work well for what we are trying to do. I don't care so much about importing new products right now, but in the future this might be helpful. Another issue is trying to automate this process, but it looks like the importing function will have to be done manually. I can get the data reformatted with scripts, so that will make it a little easier. Anyway, I hope this gives you a better idea of what I am trying to do. Thank you all for your help.

Rod

jag
05-17-2002, 04:46 PM
Rod,

Please clarify some points in your answer: When you say "So we are looking to scan all inventory in and out" you are reffering to scan/track individual items or use only a barcode reader to help you enter the product in to the computer.

If you want to scan individual items-

That doesn't sound Peachtree-Like in any way. I think you are looking for something like a serial number tracking thing.

What you can import in Peachtree DOS is the item (and things related to it). To track all the inventory you would have to create a different Item ID to each case and that's a lot of work. Because, I don't recall that Peachtree DOS works with serial numbers. Maybe you can customize peachtree with a program to work with that issue.

If you want to use the barcode scanner-

I don't see what problem do you have importing/exporting anything. Just export (or import) all of your data once, after you set up the format that you would like to use with barcodes.

I think I don't understand your problem. If you can gives us more details I think we can help you better.

Thanks,

bytor
05-18-2002, 08:20 AM
I had considered using a serial number tracking system, but I realize that this is not native to Peachtree. If I do that, then I will rely on an external source such as MS Access. For now, though, I am thinking that I will just use it to keep track of the quantity that we have in inventory, and not worry about individual serial numbers. I think that will get us up and running, and then in the future if we need to track individual items by serial number then I will set that up. Hopefully this is making sense now, and again I really appreciate your help!

Rod