PDA

View Full Version : How to Convert single user PPA2004 to Peer to Peer system?

d_motsiff
03-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi All --

I have a client who wants to buy a second copy of PPA2004 and convert his single user PPA2004 License into a simple peer to peer network. He currently has his live data on a Windows Home XP machine that will become the "server".

What would be the best approach to set this up for him?

Obviously I have to backup of the company data. After that, im not sure what the proper install process would be. I'm hoping that i dont have uninstall the single user PPA2004 and then reinstall a network version for the server. I have read through the user guide, this forum, and some docs at peachtree but this scenario isnt explicitly covered.

From reading posts on this board, it seems the recommended approach to install PPA2004 on the "client" machine is pretty easy. Create a shared drive to the 'server', then do a 'local' install and edit the 'datapath' in the PPA110.ini file. Seems simple enough.

But I have a few questions/concerns:

a. Will PPA2004 work in a peer to peer networking environment with Windows XP Home version on both machines? or do i need to upgrade to the 'XP Pro' version. Does anyone have this set up and running?

b. Do i have to uninstall the single user version of Peachtree, and then reinstall the 'network' version on the machine that will become the server? or can i just edit data in the ini file?

c. I see from posts here that the client machine will need to access more than just the "c:/program files/peachtree/" directory on the server box. specifically it needs to access the "c:/windows" directory for the ppa110.ini file too. Im pretty sure the XP Home version does NOT allow shares on the entire "c:" drive. ( i.e. there is NO sharing of the "program files" folder) Will this be an issue in Windows XP Home for a peer to peer network using PPA2004?

d. what would be other issues to watch out for?

Thanks for any pointers,
Dale

Jim Dale
03-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by d_motsiff
Hi All --

I have a client who wants to buy a second copy of PPA2004 and convert his single user PPA2004 License into a simple peer to peer network. He currently has his live data on a Windows Home XP machine that will become the "server".

What would be the best approach to set this up for him?

Obviously I have to backup of the company data. After that, im not sure what the proper install process would be. I'm hoping that i dont have uninstall the single user PPA2004 and then reinstall a network version for the server. I have read through the user guide, this forum, and some docs at peachtree but this scenario isnt explicitly covered.

From reading posts on this board, it seems the recommended approach to install PPA2004 on the "client" machine is pretty easy. Create a shared drive to the 'server', then do a 'local' install and edit the 'datapath' in the PPA110.ini file. Seems simple enough.

But I have a few questions/concerns:

a. Will PPA2004 work in a peer to peer networking environment with Windows XP Home version on both machines? or do i need to upgrade to the 'XP Pro' version. Does anyone have this set up and running?

b. Do i have to uninstall the single user version of Peachtree, and then reinstall the 'network' version on the machine that will become the server? or can i just edit data in the ini file?

c. I see from posts here that the client machine will need to access more than just the "c:/program files/peachtree/" directory on the server box. specifically it needs to access the "c:/windows" directory for the ppa110.ini file too. Im pretty sure the XP Home version does NOT allow shares on the entire "c:" drive. ( i.e. there is NO sharing of the "program files" folder) Will this be an issue in Windows XP Home for a peer to peer network using PPA2004?

d. what would be other issues to watch out for?

Thanks for any pointers,
Dale
It is really just a matter of installing the second copy on the other machine and using the mapped drive for the data.

I don't recommend using a home version to manage your "networked" data.

i.e. datapath = f:\pcw2004 where c:\pcw2004 is the directory for the data on the first computer and f = the drive letter for the mapped drive.

Do you need a second copy?