PDA

View Full Version : VERRRY slow Classic 12

Jerry
11-20-2001, 03:17 PM
We just upgraded our 4 PC's to Pentium 4's each with 256 meg of memory running Windows 2000 over a peer-to-peer network. If more than one person is on Peachtree, the speed dies. It literally takes 15 seconds between screen changes. The program is loaded on each machine, all pointing to our main machine for the data. All are running full screen. Each machine has SET PCADATA..., SET OVERLAY..., and SET PC3ID.... Nothing seems to help, the speed just dies especially if someone tries to print something.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Jerry

Unregistered
11-23-2001, 09:18 AM
Yeah, You probably bought 4 Dells with Norton AntiVirus 2001 preinstalled.

If you disable auto protect, the problem will go away and you'll be at full speed.

It took me several months, thousands of dollars, and wasted calls to peachtree tech support and after just one post here, I got the answer.

luisteijeiro
01-12-2002, 09:42 PM
I have good news and bad news:

The good news, there is nothing wrong with your computers and/or your network.

The bad news, the problem is the file-locking mechanism in Ver 12. I was on the phone with tech support and they went through half a dozen configurations. Finally, the tech timed how long it took him to go between screens, the answer was about 45 seconds. He confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my system, it was with the program itself.

At the time, it seemed as if I was one of the few persons who was aware of how slow it ran. Personally, I find that hard to believe. Either way, he assured me that this problem should be fixed on the next version. Unfortunately, I can't keep waiting . I am in the process of migrating to PCA 2002. Hopefully, I'll have better luck.

Regards,

Luis

jag
01-16-2002, 08:21 PM
Hi,

When running Windows 2000 or Windows XP the execution speed of the program (PCA DOS) decreases dramatically.
Due to the existence of the SMA (and in part to the Hardware Abstraction Layer).

If you can go back to any other Non-Protected 32-bit OS (like Win Me or 9x) the problem will be solved.

I have run Peachtree DOS v12 in a Win 98 computer and I haven't noticed the File Lock Delays that Luis is mentioning.

Javier A. Gomez
javier_gomez@engineer.com
San Juan, Puerto Rico