PDA

View Full Version : Adding several new accounts

BobFriedmanCT
04-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Here's the situation. I have four consolidated companies, each of which is some combination or permutation of twenty six different sub-entities - separate companies within Peachtree.

I already have activity in all of them.

I need to standardize the chart of accounts. To do so, there are various "sets" of accounts that exist in only one entity that need to be added to all other companies.

Is there a way of importing them so that I don't have to - via Maintain/Chart of Accounts, add each individual account to each company. Some of the sub-entities need to have as many as 15 or 20 accounts added. That's a LOT of typing.

brmgt
04-09-2004, 09:56 AM
You can export the accounts from one company and then import them into the other(s.)

On the file menu click on "Select Import/Export" Under the General Ledger section you will see the Chart of accounts list. Click on the Chart of Accounts list then click export. You then have the option to select the account range that you want to export.

On the fields tab, choose the items you want to export. Make sure you don't include current balance and budget information.

The options tab lets you select where you want the export to go and whether to include headings. I would recommend the headings if you need to change the file before importing. (If the accounts you need are not all together.)

Then go to the company that you want ot import the files and select import. Make sure you select the same items on the field tab that you had exported. On the options tab, choose the file path and then import.

Good luck and don't forget to make a backup before doing this.

Also make sure that the account numbers you are importing do not exist already.

BobFriedmanCT
04-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Sounds like that might be just the trick I need.

With backups safely made, I'll give it a shot later this afternoon.

I'll post my results here along with, I expect, another strong thank you!

BobFriedmanCT
04-09-2004, 10:12 AM
A slight wrinkle here.

What I need to import (and on the flip side, export) is a series of accounts. Not always contiguous, so I can't specify a range.

It looks as if I can only specify a single range, or a single account. Not, unfortunately a long list of separate ones, or even two or three different ranges at once.

Am I missing something here?

brmgt
04-09-2004, 10:14 AM
You can export all the accounts and then edit the file in excel -- just delete the rows you don't need.

BobFriedmanCT
04-09-2004, 10:15 AM
LOL.

I was just IN Excel...having realized that I could do just that!

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

BobFriedmanCT
04-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Exactly what I needed!

Thanks for your help. This forum is a gift!