PDA

View Full Version : Converting to Peachtree from old UNIX system

ternstes
07-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Well, here is the skinny on my situation. The company for which I work is currently using a quite old UNIX-based accounting system produced by ABS (American Business Systems). The owner has decided to move to PT Premium 2005, and now I am in charge of converting our accounting data. Now, I am almost positive no one here has done a conversion from a system such as this, but what are some general steps that need to be taken in order to migrate the data? Is it even possible to bring in transaction detail for this year (2004), and if so, in what order do I perform the imports?

Please help!

-Tim

Jim Dale
07-30-2004, 09:32 PM
Talk about your export capabilities. Can you create csv files for Excel or access files?

ternstes
08-02-2004, 06:35 AM
Exporting the data from our UNIX system is possible... it is a similar flat-file system like Peachtree. But, some of the things that prompted my initial question are as follows:

One problem we have come across is that when we import our chart of accounts and then run a standard chart of accounts report, trying to filter by our department account segment, the report either doesn't filter or crashes peachtree completely. When we key in the chart of accounts manually, we do not have this problem.

There also doesn't seem to be a way to import general ledger account beginning balances. This is not a huge deal, but with a somewhat large chart of accounts, it is a lot of numbers, and prone to human entry error.

And, the customer and vendor beginning balances do not import correctly either. If I set up an import file to bring in the outstanding invoices, Peachtree also posts these transactions to the G/L, which in turn upsets our G/L beginning balances since these transactions are added in. If we key in the customer beginning balances manually, it works fine with no additional activity in the G/L.

Problems like this have begun to make me wonder what other conversion problems lie ahead (i.e. matching Sales Orders to Invoices, etc).

Thanks,

-Tim

Jim Dale
08-02-2004, 08:52 AM
You probably want to work with someone on these files. I have done many imports, including beginning balances, so I know it works. The people that run this forum offer that service