PDA

View Full Version : PT Company data

mlefort@halpern
08-18-2004, 11:26 AM
I use PT on a 5 user network. The majority of the work we do for clients are done in the office...but once in a while we need to go to the client's office.

It would be very efficient if I could use the client's data (which is usually kept on the network) on my notebook which I bring to the client. When I get back to the office, I could restore the work I've done to the network.

I have tried several ways to make this happen, but it won't work.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Jim Dale
08-20-2004, 02:15 AM
This is backup/restore. What doesn't work? Can you create backups? Do they restore?

mlefort@halpern
08-26-2004, 06:03 AM
The problem is that when I start PT, the program looks for the network data path, even though I am not connected to the network.

When PT doen't find the network connection, it will not load.

While I am connected to the network, I can make a backup, but I cannot restore it to the local C:\ drive, because I can't get PT to start without the network.

Jim Dale
08-26-2004, 07:58 PM
You just need to reinstall peachtree so that the datapath is the c drive. It sounds like you are saying that it is a laptop, so it would be appropriate. If you have trouble reinstalling, and changing the datapath, uninstall first. Peachtree should try to install to the local drive (C) if it is a "new" install.

mlefort@halpern
08-27-2004, 06:07 AM
Uninstall/Reinstall does not work on two levels:

1) When I did that, the other users, who were back at the office, couldn't use PT., they received some sort of error. When I got back to the office & discovered this, I reinstalled PT, and they then were able to use it again. We have a 5 user license and they should not be stopped from using PT when I am trying to use it at a client's office.

2) It is not reasonable that I have to uninstall/reinstall PT each time I might want to take it to the client's office for a couple of hours.

We have other software that allows us to install both a network client (w/data on the network) & a standalone version (w/data on the C:\ drive) on our notebooks. They understand that we only use the standalone version for less than 20% of the time we need access to the network data. Does PT allow this dual install?

Jim Dale
08-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Perhaps it is something that you have not communicated or I have not understood. Why can't you uninstall on your laptop? Do you need to be connected to the network to uninstall on your laptop? Why?

Jim Dale
08-27-2004, 08:13 AM
If the datapath is set to the c drive on your laptop, you can still browse to the network drive to load other companies, so no dual installation is needed. You might want to have a support center that you can call for additional support on a question by question basis. Shannon, moderator of this forum, offers that service, for example.