PDA

View Full Version : Sales Tax

vanjo
09-13-2004, 06:38 AM
This may just be a dumb question - but can someone PLEASE help me out?

How come when I print a Taxable/Exempt Sales report for a particular month, and a Sales Journal, the totals do not equal?

For example, I printed the Taxable/Exempt Sales report for July and got $111.61 for a particular county. And adding up the sales from the Sales Journal for that month gets me $2858.65...???

Obviously I am not an accountant, I just thought someone may be able to help me out...

A little background - My company had an inexperienced user create and maintain the data for years - and I think this problem may have something to do with incorrectly deleting or voiding transactions....
Any comments?
Thanks!!

TheWolf
09-14-2004, 02:58 PM
It could be anything from the authorities or sales tax codes not being set up properly to invoices not having tax codes assigned to them. You really need a consultant to look at it to tell you what is going on.

vanjo
09-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Thank you for your response...

I spoke with Peachtree Service, and they told me that the Taxable/Exempt Sales Report and the Sales Journal are not supposed to equal b/c the Sales Journal includes the entries to inventory and cost of sales, among other reasons....

So, here's a question for you accountants.....

Which report are we supposed to go by when submitting our Quarterly State and Local Sales Tax Return? The Sales Report correct???

If this is too far off the forum topics, no prob...just thought I'd ask...

Thanks!!!