PDA

View Full Version : audittrail.dat I/O ERROR

dennis
09-14-2004, 08:41 AM
We keep getting I/O error from only 2 users always when accesssing something going to AUDITR.DAT. I turned off the Audit trail which cleared up the problem. I had previously run DATA INTEGRITY on the system, which cleared up some errors, but did not fix the I/O ERROR - AUDITR.DAT problem. My question is: How much trouble will I be in down the road if I keep running this way? I would seem the Auditr.dat file is corrupt, can I erase it and would it force a new one to be generated? Thanks
Dennis

Jim Dale
09-25-2004, 12:28 PM
"I had previously run DATA INTEGRITY on the system, which cleared up some errors, but did not fix the I/O ERROR - AUDITR.DAT problem. It would seem the Auditr.dat file is corrupt, can I erase it and would it force a new one to be generated?"

You can repair your data, or check it for damage using tools and services available from this forum. There is a banner ad at the top of this page.

To answer part of your question, generally data integrity or data verification will NOT fix I/O errors. You must repair your data in order to fix I/O errors. Or, build a new company by exporting all of the data from your current company and importing into a new company.

You might be able to "ignore" this particular problem. As you mentioned, turning off the audit trail means that p'tree stops trying to access the audit trail. However, data corruption is a problem that indicates something is wrong. I have an article on my website about data corruption.

You can delete the dat file and peachtree will build a new empty file.

Jim Dale
09-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Here is the document

"Occasionally users of Peachtree Accounting for Windows and Peachtree Complete Accounting for Windows find one or more of their data files have been corrupted. It is important to realize that the Peachtree program itself cannot cause the corruption; corrupted files result from some underlying problem in the resources that the Peachtree program uses – the computer network, other software or the computer hardware itself. It is also important to realize that corrupted data can occur on a perfectly healthy system; a corrupted Peachtree data file does not necessarily indicate that there is ANY problem with the hardware or software - it is just a fact of life. Despite what our myth about computers tells us they DO make mistakes sometimes and we must simply consider these to be an “act of god.”
The wisest approach is to assume that sooner or later you are going to encounter corruption of Peachtree data files and plan appropriately. What does that mean? BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP! You can easily perform a backup of your data right from the Peachtree menu bar.
It is very easy and quick to do. The backup procedure creates a single compressed file with the extension PTB. (This file is actually a standard Zip file.) The backup file is, by default, created with the date in its filename. If you perform the Peachtree backup each morning, then if you do get data corruption all you have to do is restore that morning’s backup and re-enter the activity for the day. The Peachtree backup gives a first line of defense against problems. An additional problem you should worry about is a disk crash on the system where your data resides. You can easily protect yourself against this by copying the Peachtree backup to another computer on your network where you have a few spare GB of disk space. Finally, you can protect yourself against disaster by backing up on tape or CD and taking this backup off site.
That being said, there are several hardware and software problems that we know can contribute to corruption of Peachtree data files on an ongoing basis. In fact, Peachtree file corruption almost invariably occurs when the Peachtree program accesses its data across a network—it is very rare for corruption to occur on a stand alone computer.
If you are experiencing recurring data corruption here are some things to look for:
o Use of home versions of Windows (95, 98, me, XP Home). These systems are designed to accomodate games and old versions of programs. In order to do this, however, they can allow applications to step on each other - a perfectly functioning program can have its data walked over by an idendependent malfunctioning program. For a business environment it is best to stick with the professional versions of Windows: NT, 2000, and XP Pro.
o Flaky computer hardware. Computers are very complex with many components that must all work together perfectly. All it takes is one problem component to cause the computer to crash occasionally or simply start acting strange until the system is rebooted. These types of problems can easily lead to corruption of files. If you have a computer that has problems, replace it - otherwise you are just begging for trouble.
o Recurring natural events. Recurring power brownouts, power outages, or lightning storms can play havoc with a computer. Your best line of defense here is to make sure all systems are running on a UPS.
o Mismatched brands of network cards. Different brands don’t always play together well; documentation shows that this can lead to a high incidence of Peachtree data corruption. Network cards are very cheap - if you suspect problems, replace them with identical cards from a name-brand vendor such as 3COM.
o Cabling. Network cables can get crimped, stepped on, or bent at a sharp angle. Any of these problems can cause the cable to reflect signals at the problem point and cause communication problems. Also home-made cables at 100BaseT can cause problems—the connectors must be crimped on very carefully. If you have suspect cables, replace them with new commercial cables or have an expert ring out your cables with test equipment.
o Network Hubs and Switches. Sometimes these can act up. (Switches are better than hubs because they have more throughput.) If you suspect a hub or switch and have a spare port, try switching ports. You might also consider replacing the hub or switch—they are very cheap.
o Fragmentation. When Windows is installed on a new computer it badly fragments itself. That means that files that should be contiguous on the disk are cut up into small pieces and scattered across the disk. As you install applications and use the system the fragmentation problem gets worse and worse. Eventually you reach a point where the system becomes very sluggish and error rates soar as the computer starts thrashing itself to death. The only cure for this problem is regular defragmenting of the disk(s). All versions of Windows except NT have a light-weight built-in defragmenter that can be run manually. However, you are better off using a commercial defragmenter such as Diskkeeper that has more features and that can be scheduled to run automatically on a regular basis.
o Overburdened servers. Don’t ask an individual server to do several different server tasks. If possible you might want to devote a single server to doing nothing but supporting Peachtree data.
o Viruses, worms, bots. There are many nasty things out there that can infect your computer and cause strange problems. Be sure to protect your systems with anti-virus software. Also make sure you have firewall protection - ZoneAlarm is an excellent inexpensive choice for this."

Robert Walraven

It's not on my website at the moment in an easy to find place...